Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Praise Post #18 - 2020

October 2011


When I look back on my childhood, going to the movies as a family is not something we often did. In fact, I can list the few movies we went to:

  • Bambi
  • Mary Poppins
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Bridge Over the River Kwai

Those first two movies were in movie theaters, the last two at the drive-in. The first movies were my choices (now you can see how old I am!) and the last two choices were my dad's pick.

But in my teenage years, I can vividly remember seeing "The Sound of Music." It made such an impression on me; especially the song, "My Favorite Things."

God is so good to us! He made a beautiful world, filled with so many fascinating and interesting things. He has given them to us to enjoy.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. James 1:17

I'm praising Him for some of my childhood favorites today:

1, Memories of playing Bingo and Double Solitaire with my granny. Granny loved to play games. She was up for any kind of board game; but she especially loved Scrabble. When I was a young child; she lived with us and we played almost nightly. She was so much fun.

2. Books: Once I learned to read, I was never bored. My imagination immediately cast me into the role of heroine in every story I read. Such interesting things I did and saw through the world of books! I thank God for the ability to read and for all the books He sent my way.

3. Laughter: My family was one to sit around the table after a meal and laugh and talk, and more so when extended family came to visit. I loved hearing the stories and laughter. Often the other kids would be off playing, but I'd sit there and drink in all the stories.

4. Take out treats: When I was little, we didn't eat out very often. When we were sick, it became a little ritual for Daddy to bring us home ice cream, or maybe even a hamburger and french fries from McDonald's.

5. Road trips: One of Daddy's earlier jobs was being a truck driver. He could drive for hours, stopping only for bathroom breaks and fueling up on coffee. Our family vacations consisted of him driving to various parts of the country and seeing if he could get there faster than originally planned. Despite wishing he would stop more, I have fond memories of the places we saw and the things we did. Our most epic trip ever was to California. If you're interested, you can read about it here.

Looking back, I had a happy childhood. I give God praise. Yes, there were some sad and some hard parts; but overall I am blessed to have the family I have.

What are some childhood blessings special to you? We'd love to hear. Leave us a comment!





Today is day 18 of November and I have determined I will give Him praise for 5 blessings each day of the month. 5 blessings a day X 30 days = 150 praises. 90 praises to date!

You might think coming up with 150 blessings in the month of November is a tall order, but I guarantee you can come up with that many. 

Remember, whether big or small, praise Him for them all.

I'd be thrilled if you would like to share in the comments your 5 praises, or a link to your post giving God praise.
He is worthy!

~~~

Hey, I love it that you dropped by! It would be an honor if you would subscribe to receive my posts by email. Just enter your email in the box labeled, "Follow By Email," just above my profile in the right hand column.

Also, you can find me at Instagram under jerralea

Check out the top 5 recently viewed posts at the Journey:

Praise Post #8 - 2020

Praise Post #9 - 2020

Praise Post #11 - 2020

Praise Post #30

Praise Post #12 - 2020


~~~

I'm sharing this post at Recharge Wednesday and InstaEncouragements Link-Up.

1 comment:

  1. Fun memories.
    My family went to the Drive In to see Disney movies. I remember Bambi. That tells you how old I am.
    I went with my cousin to the theater to see The Sound of Music. There was even an intermission.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.