Thursday, November 5, 2020

Praise Post #5 - 2020

Fall 2013

Yesterday, my post gave praise for a light-hearted list of small creature-comforts. (Missed it? Click here.)

However, I describe myself as a bible enthusiast; and I just have to give praise for the Word of God. (I'm sure this theme will creep into other praise posts as well.)

Today I'm sharing 5 of the many comforting scriptures I lean on.

1. I know I'm not alone when I kick things off by saying how Psalm 23 comforts me. It's one of the most beloved passages of all time. As a believer who is most definite a sheep that gets herself into trouble all the time, knowing my Shepherd is there to get me back on the path is most comforting.  I love all the verses in the Psalm; but maybe verse 6 most of all:

"Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:6, NLT

2. My childhood scripture used to comfort myself when afraid: 

"What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." Psalm 56:3 KJV

Sweet and simple, I am fondest of the KJV version. It's easy to make it into a breath prayer. Breathe in, "What time I am afraid," breathe out "I will trust in thee." Stress floats away.

3. When worried how things will turn out, my old friend, Romans 8:28, speaks up:

28 "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters." Romans 8:28-29 NLT

Hey! I gave you verse 29 for a bonus. How cool is it that He knew us in advance? And decided we were worth creating anyway.

Does this mean only good and fun things happen for me? Of course not. But it does mean He only lets things that would make me more like Jesus touch my life.

4. It also comforts me to know I'm His masterpiece, and He has good things planned for me to do. (I dislike feeling unproductive, so I especially love this verse.)

"For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10 NLT

In fact, read the whole passage. It will do you good.

5. Sometimes the enemy tries to convince me God is sick of me and my many mess-ups. This next passage lifts my spirits back up:

37 "No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. 38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:37-39, NLT

That's some good stuff, there! 

What are you praising God for today?



Today is day 5 of November and I have determined I will give Him praise for 5 blessings each day of the month. 5 blessings a day X 30 days = 150 praises.

You might think coming up with 150 blessings in the month of November is a tall order, but I guarantee you can come up with that many. 

Remember, whether big or small, praise Him for them all.

I'd be thrilled if you would like to share in the comments your 5 praises, or a link to your post giving God praise.

He is worthy!


~~~

Hey, I love it that you dropped by! It would be an honor if you would subscribe to receive my posts by email. Just enter your email in the box labeled, "Follow By Email," just above my profile in the right hand column.

Also, you can find me at Instagram under jerralea

Check out the top 5 recently viewed posts at the Journey:


~~~

I'm sharing this post at Let's Have Coffee and

#TuneInThursday

4 comments:

  1. Psalm 23. I heard an old southern preacher say Surely, Goodness, and Mercy were angels that follow us around!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I needed to hear some praises today! Love this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today as my husband and I prepare to leave for routine doctors' appointments at Siteman Cancer Center, I'm thankful God walked us through my husband's leukemia diagnosis last year, for the doctors who provided excellent care, for the research that provided a "cure" for most leukemia, for a God who performs miracles through many avenues, and that these appointments every month are just "routine."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.