Friday, August 21, 2020

A Year of Mercy





In August of 2019, I began a word study on "hesed" (or "chesed"). There are 247 instances of this word in the KJV Old Testament. Hesed is often translated "mercy" or "lovingkindness." It is the covenant loyal love God has for His children.

I've so enjoyed being on this journey of discovering hesed. Hesed pops up everywhere, in so many of my favorite loved passages of scripture, such as being promised fresh mercies every morning (Lam. 3:22-23) or in the 23rd Psalm.

But I've found surprises as well. The first recorded message of hesed is found in Genesis involving an unlikely character - Lot! I've always thought Lot could have done a little better than he did. But hey! The apostle Peter, inspired by the Holy Spirit, called Lot righteous. (Read it for yourself, here.) God extended mercy to him, the least I can do is be more charitable in my thoughts.

Here is today's scripture, number 216 in my long list of God's faithful actions:

“Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David."
Isaiah 55:3 NLT

The KJV calls it the "sure mercies of David." As in, you can count on all the love He promised David to show up in your life as well.

It's interesting ... there is no hesed in the New Testament.

Why? 

Because Jesus came! And Jesus is even better than hesed. He mediated a better covenant based on better promises.

Thanks be to God!

~~~

This week's word prompt issued by the Five Minute Friday community is "mercy."

(In interest of full disclosure, it took me longer than 5 minutes to link up my scriptures to this post and make a graphic.)


~~~

Hey, I love it that you dropped by! It would be an honor if you would subscribe to receive my posts by email. Just enter your email in the box labeled, "Follow By Email," just above my profile in the right hand column.

Also, you can find me at Instagram under jerralea


Check out this week's top 5 posts at the Journey:

What is stopping my progress?

The Challenge of Rest

Weekly Wrap-Up & FFF 

One Necessary Thing

Focus Determines Contentment

~~~

I'm also linking this post to Grace&Truth and

Inspire Me Monday

InstaEncouragements Link-Up

Recharge Wednesday

Let's Have Coffee

#TuneInThursday

9 comments:

  1. wow... that was unexpected. I normally am meh about word studies... but this I liked. It worked so well for where I am in life right now too. :) THANKS!!!! Another God moment!

    Visiting from Spot 20 this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased Jesus came as I think i would of been an epic fail in old testament times. Fmf #2

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gracteful for the mercies of God. Coming from Grace and truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, by God, I do need mercy,
    oh, by God, I do need grace;
    please, my Lord, give me the courtesy
    of the showing of Your face!
    Cancer of the stupid bloody pancreas
    is, oh, Lord, the hardest trial,
    cold and cruel, and oh, so vicious;
    please, my God, will you just smile
    and tell me that You will be here
    to help me through these worst of days?
    Please, oh, God, please make it clear
    that your ears have heard my praise
    and that Your holy healing breath
    will help support me in my death?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because Jesus came!! Love this and love that I learned something new here today. Beautiful way of using your words to educate and uplift... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this post of your word study.
    Visiting from #26

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is interesting! I did not know that, but it makes perfect sense!

    Thanks for sharing this insightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanking God for Jesus and the Lord's sure mercies

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.