Friday, May 7, 2021

Claiming Your Promised Land - Part 1

 
Around the beginning of 2021, I was listening to a goal-setting podcast where one of the speakers said something that grabbed my attention. She was getting ready to go over a list of promises in scripture and she asked the question, “Are you living in your promised land?”
 
Her question has been in my spirit ever since; because, no, I don’t think we are living in our promised land. Some of us may have taken steps into that territory; but often, after a particular struggle has been resolved, we slide back into complacency.

What's complacency? Glad you asked! If you are complacent, you are satisfied with yourself, content to remain at the level you are in your walk with Christ.

I've been there more than once. How about you?

It's the human condition. Scripture tells us the Children of Israel were complacent. They were satisfied to stay at Shiloh for years rather than go on and conquer the rest of the Promised Land God had alloted for them.

Like an older brother, their leader, Joshua, had to confront them:

Joshua 18:1-3 New King James Version
18 Now the whole congregation of the children of Israel assembled together at Shiloh, and set up the tabernacle of meeting there. And the land was subdued before them. But there remained among the children of Israel seven tribes which had not yet received their inheritance.
Then Joshua said to the children of Israel: “How long will you neglect to go and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers has given you?
 
Why would they not want to possess their land? Why would Joshua need to prod them? 

Maybe for the same reasons we believers today don't make the effort to claim our promised land:

  • We're comfortable where we are
  • We doubt the promises are for us
  • We don't want to do the work of believing
  • We don't know what the promises are
  • We haven't had a life-changing encounter with God

Child of God, it's vital we take hold of everything God has for us so we can live overcoming lives. He gave us promises for a reason, not just to bless us, but to equip us to be influencers for the kingdom.

I hope you'll join me for the next 4 installments of this series as we examine living in our promised land.

Question 4 U: Why do YOU think believers don't live in victory?

~~~

I just want you to know how highly I value those of you that make your way to the Journey to read my words! I believe encouraging others with the written word is a worthy calling. Thank you especially to those who respond. You make it worthwhile.
I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

You also might want to visit recent most-viewed posts:

8 comments:

  1. Question 4 U: Why do YOU think believers don't live in victory?

    Lack of obedience. Also lack of holiness, not taking things seriously such as how much our thoughts effect us or sin or what we watch/say, who we listen to, what we believe without realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good word! this gave me pause:"If you are complacent, you are satisfied with yourself, content to remain at the level you are in your walk with Christ." thank you for this reminder and the challenge it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering how, when we get to Heaven, how it is that we won't get complacent - but then, we won't be in a world with evil, with tiredness, needing to catch our breath. In the battle - in the hard challenge, I'm pressed in, keeping my eyes on the one who leads me. Without the challenge to sharpen me, to keep me close, I admit I don't feel the same urgency. Sometimes it feels like two steps forward, one step back - on other days, one step forward, two back. I wish my humanity would frazzle me away from the prize - which is Him! Looking forward to your series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He gave us promises for a reason, not just to bless us, but to equip us to be influencers for the kingdom." What a powerful insight, Jerralea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely is our tendency, isn't it, to get complacent. As C.S. Lewis said, we are far too easily satisfied! That comfort makes us spiritually lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Child of God, it's vital we take hold of everything God has for us so we can live overcoming lives. He gave us promises for a reason, not just to bless us, but to equip us to be influencers for the kingdom." This is powerful, Jerralea, and worth thinking on a bit more deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question! For me, I didn't get super serious about claiming the promises of Christ until my mid 30s even though I had been a Christian since age 15. Complacency absolutely set in especially during my undergrad years at a well known and respected Christian college here in NY on the western edge. it was EASY to be a Christian on a Christian campus when 95% of the student body were following Christ......i just slid along. But then I discovered the POWER of the HOly Spirit!! and it's just a more exciting way to live....it's an adventure. I want to keep growing, keep searching, keep growing intimate with my Savior. And like your friend Sandi said above, it's usually due to lack of obedience (or pride or laziness...it's so easy to be complacent isn't it??).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.