Thursday, February 11, 2021

Argument



I don't like to argue. In fact, I will go to great lengths to avoid conflict. I think of arguments as heated exchanges of opposing views.

You rarely change someone's point of view with anger.

Sometimes I just can't agree with a position someone has taken. When the time is right, I can present my case calmly. It might be we end up agreeing to disagree.

The apostle Paul once had a disagreement Barnabas. They couldn't agree so they split up and went separate directions.

37 Barnabas wished to take Mark (also known as John) along with them, 38 but Paul disagreed. He didn’t think it was proper to take the one who had deserted them in south-central Turkey, leaving them to do their missionary work without him. 39 It became a heated argument between them, a disagreement so sharp that they parted from each other. Barnabas took Mark and sailed to Cyprus. 40 And Paul chose Silas as his partner.
After the believers prayed for them, asking for the Lord’s favor on their ministry, they left 41 for Syria and southeast Turkey. Every place they went, they left the church stronger and more encouraged than before. Acts 15: 37-41 TPT

Seems sad, but actually more people heard the gospel by each taking a different route.

I call that bringing good out of a disagreement. 

(Spoiler Alert: Paul and Barnabas mended their fences; and later Paul actually sent for John Mark to come help him.)

In 2021, we have had a year like no other when it comes to arguments. A lot of things have been said that shouldn't have. 

Perhaps we can learn from Paul's example of separating himself from the argument and going a different path.

He and Barnabas had the same core values - they were preaching Jesus and strengthening the churches - but they did it separately in different areas.

To me, core values such as believing Jesus is the only way to heaven, salvation is a free gift, changed lives demonstrate repentance and sin is not to have dominion over a believer's life call for taking a stand. It's always needful to take a stand to defend the message.

Defending the method is a different story, though. I would never want to alienate my brothers and sisters just to prove I'm right.

What say you? Can we agree to disagree?




Welcome to Day 11 of the #Write28Days challenge. During the month of February, I'll be examining what my world looks like after 2020. I feel we are ever closer to the Lord's return. What would it look like if I lived everyday with that thought in mind?

This could be my last February 11th before He comes.

The truth is, it IS the last February 11th for some, because He comes back every day for somebody.

It could be me. It could be you. It could be every believer.

My prayer is to leave an impact. What about you?

So then, prepare your hearts and minds for action! Stay alert and fix your hope firmly on the marvelous grace that is coming to you. For when Jesus Christ is unveiled, a greater measure of grace will be released to you. 1 Peter 1:13 TPT


#28daysin2021ofintentionality

I don't want you to miss a post. You can go here to see all the links in my series as they go live each day.

~~~

Hey, I love it that you dropped by! It would be an honor if you would subscribe to receive my posts by email. Just enter your email in the box labeled, "Follow By Email," just above my profile in the right hand column.

Also, you can find me at Instagram under jerralea

~~~

I'm linking this post to the community at #TuneInThursday

3 comments:

  1. I participated in this challenge in 2020 but just felt not up to it this year. Great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Jerralea. I have seen so many arguments on social media that I have had to stop visiting these websites. We will never convince another of the righteousness of our position through anger. Your post reminded me of the verse from Proverbs: "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not like arguments. I do believe there are issues to take a stand on and others that aren't worth it for sure. It seems the climate we are in might force us to make more stands in these coming years.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.