Friday, February 7, 2020

Number - 5 Examples of Goodness

Life happens - even in the midst of writing goals. Yesterday, I was unable to participate in the #Write28Days; and for a recovering perfectionist, the pull is strong to ditch it and say, "Forget it. I'll try again next time."

But no! I am a warrior princess and will hack my way out of the things blocking my writing journey and pursue my goal.

Because writing journeys are like spiritual journeys. There will be setbacks, detours and road blocks aplenty; yet we must press on to our prize, our journey of becoming more like Christ and reaching Home to be with Him forever.

Amazingly, it all works for the good; because the prompt for yesterday can be a segue for 2020's Friday posts where I recount 5 highlights of the week.

One of the things I love about participating with the community at Friday's Fave Five is the intentionality with which we look for 5 positive things.

Because some weeks, finding five is a tall order!

Recalling our five helps us number our days. If we write down and fix in our minds when something happened, then looking back on our lives seems less like a blur of activity.

These are the words of Moses:


So teach us to number our days,That we may gain a heart of wisdom.Psalm 90:12 NKJV

Numbering our days - paying attention - helps us to become wise. We get a perspective of what is important in the scheme of things. Earlier in this Psalm, Moses discusses life span; so I think he is pointing out life is short. We must learn what is important. 

Where better to learn such things than in His Word and at His feet?

When I look back at my life, I see a pattern of God's goodness to me.

Here are 5 examples of goodness for this week:

1. Last Saturday was the twins first Upward Basketball game. Let me just say, I enjoyed myself immensely. There is nothing cuter than a group of 4-5 year olds who have no idea what they are doing! I'm one proud MiMi seeing my grands out there in the thick of things!

2. Sunday was a very good day in continuing and finishing our study of Isaiah 1 in our bible study class. There was lots of good participation and discussion of the theme of Isaiah 1; basically, God letting us know He hates it when we worship when our heart is not in it. But He will offer cleansing and give us "the good of the land to eat" if we will but turn to Him.

3. Speaking of bible study, I was so excited to run across a free resource: Precept Austin, a data-base of commentaries, articles and sermons. Just search for what book of the bible you are studying and a bonanza of links come up. I do caution you to pay attention which voices you are listening to; but there are several to choose from and a few of them are my favorites.

4. Jim and I are celebrating 44 years of marriage! Thursday was our anniversary. I am so thankful we are both "alive and kicking" together!

5. Once again, the Lord our Provider came through for us. There was something "bad wrong" with our van - the one Jim uses to chauffeur the twins home from school. We were afraid we would have to park it or pay way more than it's worth to get it fixed. $245 later, it's running good and ready to pick up its daily duties again.

How did your week go? I'd love to know! Share in the comments. Comments are better than candy and non-fattening!

This post is a continuation of my "Walk the Walk Christian Living Series," written from the perspective of a recovering perfectionist. Today is Day 5. You can find all the links here.


~~~

I'm linking this post up with the community at Friday's Fave Five and Grace&Truth.

8 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Anniversary! You're four years ahead of us! I can imagine the cuteness in a basketball game for those ages. Our church went through Isaiah last year--so many great passages in that book. Glad your van could be fixed without a lot of expense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH...I LOVE the book of Isaiah. I read through it when I read through the Bible chronologically and I'm reading through it later this year after i'm done studying Jeremiah. I'm a slow reader of the major prophets because i tend to highlight, take notes and then look for commentary on whatever passage jumped out at me. hahah. Doing it as a Bible study group is a good idea!

    How fun it must be to watch the preschoolers play b-ba!! Yay Gramma.

    Happy (belated) Anniversary to you and your husband....44 years!!! That is something that is truly a blessing.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very happy anniversary to you and your husband! Six more years until your big golden party! My husband and I are 10 years behind you, as we will celebrate our 34th next week.

    A few years ago, I joined in Crystal Stine's Write 31 Days. I didn't make it all the way through. I wanted to try it again, but she isn't hosting it anymore. I would be interested in hearing more about Write 28 days.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Writing to Remember

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated anniversary congratulations. 44 years is a great achievement. We're almost at 36. Writing everyday is a huge challenge and sometimes not possible. One of my objectives this year is to be kind to myself and not beat myself up if I don't live up to my high expectations. Glad you got your van fixed. I'm laughing at imagining 4 & 5 year olds trying to play basketball. I'm sure it was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 44 years! That is a good accomplishment. Also glad that van got fixed without too big a price tag! Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary X 44! That's a great accomplishment.
    I've seen some videos of the various littles at church playing 4-5 yo basketball. So cute! (dribble the ball? what's that mean?)
    In managing my goals this year, I have been great at everything except sketching/watercolor. But I can't get discouraged--I need to just pick that pencil back up again.
    Car troubles are a pain--glad yours is fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forty four years!! Now that an accomplishment to celebrate! Happy anniversary. How fun to watch that age group play basketball. I miss those days. Praise God for the van being fixed for that amount. May it give you many more years of chauffeuring those grandkids.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.