Saturday, February 8, 2020

Community: A Hot Mess

One of the things I've been searching for in my writing journey is community; a place where I can share my words, and also a place where I can be uplifted.

A healthy community involves giving and taking; meeting needs and receiving support, with a healthy dose of constructive criticism thrown in.

Come to think of it, community sounds like the local church.

Sometimes, it does take a search. until you find that church community where you feel included and you can do life together. Don't give up looking for your spiritual home; God has groups of people all over the place. There is one right for you.

At our church, we sometimes joke we are all a bunch of misfits who found each other. I'm always excited to see my church family, and if illness or traveling prevents me from being there, I start to feel homesick.

I love this quote shared by Rachel Evans Held in her book, Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church:

“As my friend Ed puts it: “When you join a church you’re just picking which hot mess is your favorite.” 


Amen. We're all a hot mess. Jump in and make a difference.

What about you? Are you part of a community? Let us know about your bunch. I bet your people are a lot like mine. My bunch is a group of loving people with unique ways of acting. We have sharp edges that sometimes rub people the wrong way, but learning to deal just helps to grow us to be more like Jesus. We are hungry for a move of God in our community.



This post is Day 5 of my "Walk the Walk Christian Living Series." You can go here to find links to read all the posts.

I'm also sharing this post at Grace&Truth.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, All my groups are hot messes, but then so am I. We so need each other. But we need to remember that each group has problems because we as people have problems.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.