Thursday, February 20, 2020

Experiment: Try it out!


A few years back, one of the church members showed up at my desk to talk. He wanted to know if I believed in tithing.


"Yes, sir, I do believe in tithing," I replied, wondering where this conversation might be going.

"Good," he said, as he plopped down in the chair in front of my desk, settling in for a good long talk. "You know, I've always told my kids and my nieces and nephews to just give the Lord one year on tithing. Try it out for one year. If you prove you paid tithes for a whole year and you end up worse off than when you started, then I'll make up the difference."

My eyes widened as I considered this. I knew he had a large extended family. "Did you ever have to pay up?"

"Nope," he said with a grin. "Course, to be fair, some of my nieces and nephews just rolled their eyes and didn't take me up on it. But everyone of them that tried tithing will admit God has more then taken care of them."



~~~


One of Webster's definition for the word, "experiment" is this: "try out a new procedure, idea, or activity."

Now, I didn't start out to write a post about tithing - not at all. But I did happen to remember something God said.


Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,That there may be food in My house,And try Me now in this,”Says the Lord of hosts,“If I will not open for you the windows of heavenAnd pour out for you such blessingThat there will not be room enough to receive it.Malachi 3:10 NKJV

God is actually challenging you to a test. Try out this new activity - believing God can meet your needs on 90% of your income, after you've given Him 10% - try it and see if it works. He guarantees that it will!

I mean, did you get that? 

The Creator of the Universe says let's conduct this great experiment. You tithe, and then sit back and watch Him bless.

Now, all my life, I have heard people put a caveat on that - they will say, "It might not be a material blessing, but you'll be blessed."

I'm kind of wondering ... why'd He say there wouldn't be room enough to receive it, if that is not what He meant?

Now, I'm definitely not a prosperity gospel person, but I AM a student of the Word.  I believe Jesus came to fulfill the law. It's true the exact term tithing is not talked about to the believers in the New Testament - but giving is! God wants us to cheerfully give to Him, not because He needs it, but because we do.

You can't out-give God. He says, "try me!"


"Here’s my point. A stingy sower will reap a meager harvest, but the one who sows from a generous spirit will reap an abundant harvest." 2 Corinthians 9:6 The Passage Translation

We don't give to get. That is asking amiss and  we'd be asking with a wrong motive. But you can take God at His Word, give obediently and expect your needs to be met.

Are you a giver?



This is post #16 of my "Walk the Walk Christian Living Series," written from the perspective of a recovering perfectionist. You can go here to see the links of each post as they go live.


I'm linking this post to the community at #TuneInThursday.



1 comment:

  1. What a great teaching year challenge that man gave his family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.