Thursday, March 8, 2018

More on laying down your life …

During the month of love (February) I wrote about serving and laying down your life.

In March, I'm still considering love. In fact, I'm working on a series about God's amazing love.

The other day I noticed the similarities between John 3:16 and 1 John 3:16:

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

And then,

By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. (1 John 3:16)

Both are about love – the ultimate expression of love.

Both are about laying down our life.

Because God loves us so much, He laid down His life. And then we are told, because He did so, we should do the same.

What?

Maybe not physically. Few of us will be presented with the choice of laying our actual physical life down.



But in practical everyday life on this journey, we have to lay down our wants, wishes, hopes and aspirations for the good of another.

Actually, if you read further in 1 John 3, you will see the meaning of verse 16 is not physically laying down your life, it’s giving your “stuff.”

“But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his hear from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.” (1 John 3:17-18)

First, we must see the need. I admit I’m one who is so focused on traveling my own path noticing the need never happens.

It’s good I focus on the destination (my goal keeps me on the path). But, it’s key I focus on the Guide of my path. The Guide will prompt me when there is a need for me to help.

I’m to help by loving in deed and in truth, which means giving of myself and making no excuses.

Sometimes giving my stuff, like money or possessions.

Sometimes I need to give something more precious to me – my time and effort.

It can be hard, people!

I’m so glad He will help. Notice the scripture said, “how does the love of God abide in him” if we don’t help. The truth is, if we have the love of God abiding in us, He helps us to lay down our life.

Everything He asks you do to do, He helps!

~~~


I'm linking this post with the communities at Jennifer's #TellHisStory, and Brenda's Chasing Community.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I find it so much easier to give my "stuff" than my time. I am trying to work on that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.