Thursday, March 15, 2018

What if this is the last time I see you?





Which is worse - fear or regrets?

Most fears never happen. Most regrets could have been avoided.

It's been about 23 years since Granny's last words to me. 

With a worried look, she sighed, "I'm just afraid this is the last time I'll ever see you! What if I don't come back from this trip to Florida?"

I hope I didn't roll my eyes, but if I didn't on the outside, I certainly did on the inside. I'm sure it showed when I said, "Granny! Of course, you'll see me again. Where's your faith? If not here, you'll see me again in Heaven."

All these years later, I wish I had taken extra time to love on her and reassure her gently instead of so impatiently.

I'd had a lifetime of hearing what all the worst-case scenarios could be. I didn’t think one of them would actually happen.

She did get sick during those months in Florida and never came home, despite the fact 99% of what she had feared during her life never happened.

100% of my regrets did happen.

I wanted her to have more faith. She probably wanted me to have more compassion.

There are no do-overs on this journey. But there can be learning experiences to make the travel more rewarding. I'm hoping to see each encounter with a traveler as important, realizing there is no guarantee they will ever pass my way again.
~~~

What about you? Do you regret any last words? Take time NOW to let every traveler you meet hear only the best from you.


~~~

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe. It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.


If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm linking this post at Brenda's Chasing Community Link-Up and at Crystal's #FreshMarketFriday.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jerralea~ Good Morning! I shared this post on FB. I Titled Will Our Paths Cross Again. Good reminder that we don't always have more time with our loved ones, or with a person that we might take the time to encourage Today! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, Jerralea. We just don't know what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I needed to read this morning before I go see someone this morning who needs my patience and not my exasperation, my understanding and not my judgement. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so powerful, Jerralea! I have some of the same types of regrets...oh, my, what I wouldn't do to be able to go back to a few, pivotal points and moments and show more compassion, grace, and mercy. But, go back, we cannot. Press on toward the mark, we must. I am so happy to meet you and find your lovely blog. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.