Monday, February 8, 2021

Exasperate

 




But Martha became exasperated by finishing the numerous household chores in preparation for her guests, so she interrupted Jesus and said, “Lord, don’t you think it’s unfair that my sister left me to do all the work by myself? You should tell her to get up and help me.” Luke 10:40 TPT

It's exasperating when people don't see things the way you do.

Martha saw serving as the most important thing she could do for God.

Mary saw sitting at the feet of Jesus the most important thing.

Both are valid activities. Both are needed.

If we all sat around listening to teaching all day, nothing would get done. Our families would be hungry and our houses chaos.

But if we spent all our time serving, our bodies and spirits would get run down and one last straw would ignite an intensely irritated and frustrated, or exasperated, believer.

Which is what happened to Martha. She did all the planning, cooking and serving; and watching her sister sitting at Jesus' feet soaking up His words undid her.

Before she stopped to think, Martha complained to Jesus, fully expecting Him to rebuke Mary.

Let's look at the rest of the story:

The Lord answered her, “Martha, my beloved Martha. Why are you upset and troubled, pulled away by all these many distractions? Are they really that important? Mary has discovered the one thing most important by choosing to sit at my feet. She is undistracted, and I won’t take this privilege from her.” Luke 10:41-42 TPT
Make no mistake. I am a Martha who is trying to become more like Jesus. It takes being a Mary to get there. 

In 2021, I'm devoting myself to spend more time sitting at the feet of Jesus.

It may take scheduling time on my calendar to sit and listen to His voice. I may have to give up some other activities.

What are you willing to do?




Welcome to Day 8 of the #Write28Days challenge. During the month of February, I'll be examining what my world looks like after 2020. I feel we are ever closer to the Lord's return. What would it look like if I lived everyday with that thought in mind?

This could be my last February 8th before He comes.

The truth is, it IS the last February 8th for some, because He comes back every day for somebody.

It could be me. It could be you. It could be every believer.

My prayer is to leave an impact. What about you?

So then, prepare your hearts and minds for action! Stay alert and fix your hope firmly on the marvelous grace that is coming to you. For when Jesus Christ is unveiled, a greater measure of grace will be released to you. 1 Peter 1:13 TPT


#28daysin2021ofintentionality


~~~

Hey, I love it that you dropped by! It would be an honor if you would subscribe to receive my posts by email. Just enter your email in the box labeled, "Follow By Email," just above my profile in the right hand column.

Also, you can find me at Instagram under jerralea

4 comments:

  1. Amen Jerralea. I love this. Such a lovely and blessed post. Blessings.
    Visiting from #write28days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more of a Martha tendency than Mary and lately I've been adding more Mary habits into my daily activities. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a balance, isn't there? We need to serve and rest. Some days we do more than the other, but let us find the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerralea, I've worn the Martha mindset too many times. I agree with you, we must take time daily to be still and really commune with Jesus. This is what strengthens us spiritually to do the physically-demanding tasks that must be done. Like you, I'm working to find the balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.