Thursday, February 27, 2020

Sparrow: Evidence of Care

Sometimes on my journey, I get overwhelmed.

Sometimes, trials and tests have pushed me to the limit. Sometimes, it is plain old grief; both the kind where I'm missing my loved ones, and also the grief when the life I planned is unreachable. Things. Just. Didn't. Go. As. Planned.

Can you relate?




When that happens, I think of sparrows. 

Sparrows are made to live in community, and they roost and even bathe in groups. They love to sing, or chirp, socially, often doing it before and after roosting. They will even join a flock of other species of birds.

If you see a sparrow by itself, you might think it had gotten lost from the group.

Scripture calls a bird by itself lonely:


I am like a pelican of the wilderness; I am like an owl of the desert. I lie awake, And am like a sparrow alone on the housetop. Psalm 102:6-8

If you read all of Psalm 102 you see that the Psalmist was afflicted, wasting away worrying about his troubles, but God looks down and sees the groaning of His servant, He delivers and brings ultimate victory.

See, the suffering of each one of us is noted. He knows when we have withdrawn to ourselves and are feeling lonely and mournful like a sparrow alone on the housetop.

There's more about sparrows ... Scripture tells us each one is important. The God of the Universe knows when one of them falls to the ground. Think on that for a bit. I can't even keep up with my 3 adult children; yet God intimately knows each being He created - even sparrows.


What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31 NLT

He is watching. He knows. He cares. Why worry?

I have to be honest; it happens every time something comes up and I have a need I'm worried about; I end up embarrassed. He comes through every single time, and I think ... what was I worried about? Why didn't I trust more?

Does that ever happen to you?



This is post #20 of my "Walk the Walk Christian Living Series," written from the perspective of a recovering perfectionist. You can go here to see the links of each post as they go live.


I'm linking this post up to the community at #TuneInThursday.

1 comment:

  1. You'll never know how much I needed this reminder today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.