Friday, November 22, 2019

What will it cost me?

On most Fridays, I like to join a group of writers who write for 5 minutes on a one-word prompt. Today's prompt is:  COST

GO

I've always had to be conscious of price tags, but lately I'm realizing there is more to counting the cost of something than dollars.

What is it going to cost me in terms of time, effort and peace of mind?



For example, my children used to beg me for a dog. But there were factors they could not see in my decision to say no. Who was going to take care of it? It would require not only feeding but potty training and walking the dog. We were gone from home all the time. Was that fair to the pet? Then, there were things like shots, vet visits, flea powder, grooming and on and on. I used to joke I could barely afford my kids, let alone a pet. (Actually, this was not a joke.)

Besides money and effort, a pet costs emotion. They become part of the family. Now this is a good thing, don't get me wrong. But for those who've lost beloved pets, it is certainly a consideration when getting another pet to love.

I'm just using the pet idea as analogy. I certainly don't mean pets are not a good thing for most families. (It just so happens that my kids thought they wanted a pet but were also afraid of dogs.)

Whatever we may be considering adding to our lives, it is certainly a smart idea to count the cost. The emotional cost may be way higher than the monetary!

STOP

If you'd like to join in, visit Five Minute Friday.
I'm also linking to the community at

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, the cost is very high,
    and there's a dog who's dying,
    but I think that Christ comes nigh
    only when we're crying.
    Our hearts are like the rich man's gold,
    given to invest,
    and if we don't love deep, love bold,
    we fail to pass the test.
    The loyalty of a canine love
    is worthy of a rending grief
    for it's directed from Above,
    and within love lies belief.
    The truth exists, and must remain;
    the love that's true is wrapped in pain.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2019/11/your-dying-spouse-700-grace-of-rain-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point - it is important to consider the emotional cost and the time cost when making decisions as well as the monetary cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good things to consider. Pets, hobbies, property and other things take a lot of work, time, and emotions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.