Friday, August 30, 2019

I've got your back!

Today's prompt at Five Minute Friday, "back," can be used in so many ways:


welcome back
going back
back of the bus
back of your mind
pat on the back
I've got your back
back to school


I've chosen to write for 5 minutes on the idea of "I've got your back."


GO





Recently, I've been studying on the topic of "chesed" in the Old Testament. We don't have a word in the English language that adequately describes chesed. Most people describe it as "loyal love." I think chesed embodies the idea of "I've got your back."


Many might think of the story of David and Jonathan as a story of chesed. Jonathan thought so much of David and his anointing that he stepped aside and worked for (and wanted) David to become king instead of himself.


David thought so much of Jonathan that years later, when he finally did become king, one of his goals was to find someone of Jonathan's family to bless and treat as his own. When Jonathan's son was located, he was promoted to dine at the king's table every night.


The greatest use of chesed, of course, is God's loyal love towards those who have covenanted with Him. If you have accepted the Lord and became His child, you can count on Him always having your back.


[stop]


Does that mean you always get what you ask for? Of course not! We ask sometimes for things that would not really be good for us or for those in our community.


It does mean He is faithful - always there, walking through every struggle and every joy with you.



For God has said,
“I will never fail you.
I will never abandon you.”
(Hebrews 13:5b NLT


In other words, I've got your back.


I'm linking up this post at:
Grace&Truth

~~~


Hey, I'd love to have you join me on Instagram where I hang out. You can follow me there and see some of my other writings.


5 comments:

  1. It's easy to feel alone in this crazy world! Thanks for the reminder that God is always with us and that He has our back through the thick and thin!!! Glad to be your neighbor at #fmf today, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that God has my back, front, sides & top covered! You did well for 5 minutes!

    You're most welcomed to join me in a cuppa Jerralea,
    Bless you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think that God gets tired
    when no-one cuts Him slack?
    Sick at heart, and uninspired?
    Well, God, we've got Your back.
    Come on in and rest a spell,
    prop Your sandals on the table.
    Close Your eyes, now, while we tell
    some stories, and a fable.
    There was once a Man You knew,
    walking His Green Mile,
    Broken, battered, through and through,
    in the old cruel Roman style.
    We've got broad shoulders, come, now, lean
    unto Your Simon of Cyrene.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2019/08/your-dying-spouse-665-lost-and-found-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a recent spinal fusion patient, I'm so glad to know that God's got my back. Of course, he has had it since the first surgery in 2001. This last was the fifth. But so much more is covered by God and I often wonder about those who don't know him. Thanks for the reminder of the kind of love that is loyal! Commenting from FMF (#20).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.