Friday, March 22, 2019

Rewarded Openly


But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. Matthew 6:6

Last week, we talked about the secret place, meeting the Lover of our souls in private. 

Today, we are focusing on why we do such a thing. Why do we secretly meet our Lover? 

First and foremost, there should be such a longing in our souls for Him that we can't keep ourselves from going to Him. Just like the example of earthly lovers in last week's post, if we are truly in love, we can't keep away from seeing our Loved one.

It should be the same, and more so, with Christ!

But the gist of this verse is the attitude with which we approach meeting with our Lover. We don't want to brag openly with our prayer life. If we do that, however people treat us after hearing of the "hours on our knees," that's our reward. If it is respect from others we are wanting, words of affirmation or an "atta-girl," we might get it - and that would be all we get!

(5 minutes are up)

But I want more than that, don't you? A life spent in visiting the Lord secretly will result in rewards such as being blessed for all the world to see. It will result in answered prayer, in blessing and favor with God. He promises if we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us.

I would consider that a far greater reward than someone thinking "I'm all that," whenever I might boast saying, "I have to go to my prayer room now." In essence saying such a thing means, "Look how devoted I am to the Lord. I spend my precious time praying to Him."

People-pleasing never really pays off, anyhow. It's just like fame - fleeting and temporary.

I'd rather be a God-pleaser, wouldn't you?


~~~

I'm linking up today with the FiveMinuteFriday community whose prompt "reward" is the reason for this post. I'm also sharing with the #FreshMarketFriday community.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.