Monday, December 19, 2016

The Morning Page: 12.19.16

As I sit here at my desk, sipping coffee in my new mug, eating Christmas cookies baked by somebody else, this final week before Christmas looms large. Will I fill it with activity (as I usually do), or will somehow this year be different? Will I find more meaning in each experience? Will I stop to savor the season?

Ok, yes, there were more cookies on this plate ...


Past experience tells me no. I'll get all caught up in perfectionism and agonize over whether I bought the right presents and should I have done more?

I long for this year to be different. Let me rest in I did my best. Let me instead think of the wonder of a new baby.

A new baby that somehow embodies the very spirit of the Creator of the Universe, yet was like any other human baby. A new baby who was here on a mission.

Redemption.

The baby sleeping so blissfully in that manger would one day be nailed to a cross in punishment for every wrong that you and I have ever done. He would do it willingly and then offer a free pass to me for eternal life if I would just give up my sin and accept it and believe in Him.

It's really mind-boggling when you think of it. I deserve justice but because of that new baby, I'm offered mercy.

And that's what is on my heart this morning. What's on yours?


~~~

I'm linking today over at Small Wonder. You would love it there!


3 comments:

  1. Coming here, Jerralea, fresh off my reading and prayer, and am beginning to ponder small ways that I can make 2017 a bit more intentional - a bit less frenzied. I'm always happy when I see you're at a link up with me! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I was contemplating this morning...

    This is about the birth of a child, not of the astonishing work of a strong man, not of the bold discovery of a wise man, not of the pious work of a saint. It really is beyond all our understanding: the birth of a child shall bring about the great change, shall bring to all mankind salvation and deliverance. Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Christmas 1940

    Our sermon on Sunday was about finding the time to adore Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mercy triumphs over all things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.