Friday, October 21, 2016

Weekend

Ah, weekends! I live for them now, but it wasn't always that way.

When I first became a ministry assistant, over 20 years ago, I loved my job so much I had trouble making myself quit on time and lived for Mondays when I could start a new week doing what I loved.

Now, I long for weekends to recharge my batteries.

One of my favorite things to do on a weekend is to take a road trip. The hubs and I love to drive somewhere, usually to a lake or a forest, and observe nature. I feel so close to God when visiting His creation and viewing His artistry.

In this current season of my life, I can only do road trips about once a month. I need new ideas on resting and recharging!

Shelly Miller addresses the topic of what to do with our weekends with her book, Rhythms of Rest, Finding the Spirit of Sabbath in a Busy World.

This book is especially interesting to those of us in ministry because, well ... let's face it, Sunday is often the busiest day of our whole week.

We can choose to Sabbath on another day if it works better. The important thing is to spend time with Him and find rest for our souls. I highly recommend her book.

Here's a quote that drew me into wanting to make an intentional time of Sabbath:

"Sabbath is a weekly dinner date with Jesus, a time set apart when we give him our undivided attention." - Shelly Miller

I love Jesus! I love dates! Don't you think that seems like awesome motivation to Sabbath?

~~~


Today's post will be shared at Arabah Joy's Grace and Truth, Crystal's #FreshMarketFriday, and is also a 31 Day Challenge post. (Read below.)





The Journey is our way Home. There is nothing more important than making that final destination. Jesus paid my ticket there, but I have to walk it out. In October, I will be observing the things that happen while traveling the Journey and writing a daily post about my observations.



Because I like to stretch myself, I will also do a challenge within a challenge - 31 days of 5 minute free writes. I will take a topic and run with it, writing furiously for 5 minutes, tailoring it to relate to my theme of examining life along the Journey.


If you are a subscriber, you will receive my #31Day posts each day. If you're not a subscriber, why not? Please go up to the Follow By Email box in the very top of the right column and enter in your email address. I don't want you to miss a thing!


You can also click
 here each day and look at the bottom of this post. The link to the newest post will be there.


If you would like to join in on the 31 Day Challenge, either as a writer or a reader, go here.


If you would also like to do the 31 Day challenge by doing it in a 5 Minute Free Write format, go here.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I've "slipped" in my spending of the Sabbath. A few years back I determined not to do much on it but spend it as a day of rest and not do any work on it. But then (sadly) I let work and other responsibilities get in the way and find myself working on it (chores around the house) and going to the store for this and that. I need to just devote a day to Jesus. He's devoted so much to me, its only reasonable I do the same.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.