Friday, October 21, 2016

Park

Kentucky
Yesterday, I talked about weekends and the need to Sabbath and find rest.

Today, I wanted to share a little about my favorite way to rest:  enjoying God's creation at a park (preferably one which has a lake or river nearby).

A lot of times we hike trails when we are at parks, but sometimes we pull up a lawn chair and just sit. Sometimes you can learn a lot of history about the site you are visiting. There are often markers erected to tell the story.

Sitting in silence is calming. I highly recommend it. When you consider how we are surrounded by noise 24/7, it is no surprise that literal peace and quiet is like a balm to our souls.

Soothing.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it is a marvel to me.  Whenever Jim and I visit a park, be it a state or national one, we see so few people there taking advantage of the opportunity. I would hate for someone to say during the inevitable budget-cutting sessions any body of government has to have nowadays, "Well, no one ever comes to this park anyway. Let's close it and save the state dollars."
Columbus Belmont, KY

One of the perks we citizens have is the ability to visit any of the wonderful acreage in our parks and recreation system, most of the time for free. We can come as often as we would like and stay for as long as we wish. (Or until closing time, which usually is 10 p.m.)

You know, I think God likes the idea of His children spending time at the park. After all, He put the first couple in the Garden of Eden. The garden was probably a lot like a park, only swankier, and with edible munchies hanging around.

And guess what? In the cool of the day, He came and walked with His children, Adam and Eve, Doesn't that sound like a hike in a park?

Do you go to the park often?

~~~


This post is part of my 31 Day Series (read below) and I am also sharing it at Word of God Speak, a great community of Christian bloggers.






The Journey is our way Home. There is nothing more important than making that final destination. Jesus paid my ticket there, but I have to walk it out. In October, I will be observing the things that happen while traveling the Journey and writing a daily post about my observations.



Because I like to stretch myself, I will also do a challenge within a challenge - 31 days of 5 minute free writes. I will take a topic and run with it, writing furiously for 5 minutes, tailoring it to relate to my theme of examining life along the Journey.


If you are a subscriber, you will receive my #31Day posts each day. If you're not a subscriber, why not? Please go up to the Follow By Email box in the very top of the right column and enter in your email address. I don't want you to miss a thing!


You can also click
 here each day and look at the bottom of this post. The link to the newest post will be there.


If you would like to join in on the 31 Day Challenge, either as a writer or a reader, go here.


If you would also like to do the 31 Day challenge by doing it in a 5 Minute Free Write format, go here.

4 comments:

  1. When my children were younger, we went to parks often. Even if we were traveling on vacation we would search out state parks to visit. As emptynesters, we don't take advantage of that option as much as we should.

    I have enjoyed reading along with your journey...and I loved the mention of Eden in today's trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that the weather is cooling down, we will have to spend more times at the parks here. It is soothing to be out enjoying the beauty God had given us.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the connection you make between walking in a park and God walking with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. I've always felt that walking in the park are some of the times I best connect with God but I hadn't made that link before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our walks are more on trails and around the neighborhood and not in a park but I think the same connection can be made. It's good to enjoy quiet or just the natural sounds of nature...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.