Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Stabilizer

Today, I've picked a post from the archives to share a funny story that makes me smile seven years later:

"… He sustains the universe by the mighty power of his command …"
Hebrews 1:3 NLT



He came by the church asking for a Bible. He said he was a student of the Bible, yet did not own one. He mentioned that he often suffered from amnesia and that he lived in the same small town that I live in.

As Bro. Mark handed him a Bible, he gravely informed us "God is using me to be the stabilizer of the universe."

"Really," I murmured as I tried my best to keep from laughing.

"Well, I must go," he said, "my ride is waiting for me." Waving at us, he turned and went down the hallway. The Stabilizer had holes in his pants!

For next few days, we had lots of fun recalling this incident. We regretted not going to the door to see what his ride looked like – perhaps it was a limo! Occasionally, one of us would say, "but Jerralea won’t have to worry, the Stabilizer of the universe lives in her town!" Or, "there’s no need to fear, the stabilizer lives here!"

One day, it clicked. Wait a minute! The Stabilizer does live in my town – in fact, He lives in my house. He lives in me. Of course, God is the stabilizer of the universe. Hebrews 1:3 says He sustains the universe. Stabilize and sustain are similar. Stabilize means to make stable or steadfast; sustains gives support. Our God is more than capable to do both.

I can rest easy.  He's got this.

The Loft Link Up


I'm sharing this story with the community at The Loft. If you want to join in, or just visit and read more funny stories, go to Leah Adams' blog, Point to Jesus.

7 comments:

  1. Of all the things he could have asked for, glad he asked for a Bible :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you wonder what his story was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story. The Stabilizer. Whenever I think I'm stressed out, I'll think about the guy whose job it is to stabilize the universe. :)

    And deleted earlier comment because of typo. Typos in blog comments is all the proof you need that I could not handle stabilizing the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you shared this!! It's amazing the people you meet! and the things they say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a lot of responsibility...to stabilize the universe. I'm glad I don't have to do that!! Hahaha!! Thanks for linking up at The Loft.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.