Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankful for a Sense of Purpose

A major part of my young life was dreaming what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I've written before about my dreams of being a veterinarian and / or spy that never worked out.  As time went on, other dreams came to mind. I remember I went through a phase of wanting to join the Navy when I graduated high school.

It seems hilarious now.  Why would I, the most non-athletic person in the world, willing subject myself to boot camp?

Later on, I thought I wanted to be a teacher.  I do enjoy teaching ... adults, I like teaching adults.  I do not want to teach children.  I found that out when I became a Missionettes teacher for 6-8 year old girls, once a week for an hour. The. Longest. Hour. Of. My. Life. Quickly, I learned that elementary teaching was not in my future.

I think all of us want to feel that we are on this earth for a purpose.  We don't want to be an accident.  We want to matter.

Can I tell you something?  God has created us with something in mind.  We are not cosmic mistakes.

Ephesians 2:10 (NKJV)

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

I love the way the New Living Translation puts it:

Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

You are a masterpiece, not a mistake. God planned something for you to do long before He made you.  You were created to do good works.

I'm thankful that He has revealed this to me.  No, I don't know everything He has planned for me to do in this life.  I'm taking it one step at a time, walking in the path He has laid out for me.  I have some dreams and desires that I think are from Him, but time will tell.  All I know, is that God is good. and He has good things planned for me.

If you don't know your purpose, spend some prayer time finding out.  He came to bring you abundant life (see John 10:10).  Isn't it about time you started living it?


Encouragementfordailybiblereading



All during the month of November, I will be sharing my gratitude for all God has given me. I'm joining Joyful Reader on her Giving Thanks Challenge at her blog, Encouragement for Daily Bible Reading.

1 comment:

  1. If I never do anything that the world deems spectacular, I'm ok with that. God created me to be the mother of three beautiful kids. (1 biological and 2 adopted). And that is a pretty important thing. To raise children to love and obey the Lord with all their hearts and souls. I may not be what the world would consider a great writer or story teller, chef, or home decorator but I am working on making my home a Christ centered safe haven. God Bless and thank you for making me take a look at what I "want to be when I grow up".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.