Thursday, November 15, 2012

I Once Wore Boy Watcher Glasses

I once had a fashion accessory that was to die for!  Yes, I'm talking about the famous "Boy Watcher" sunglasses.  A fashion staple that was popular for oh, I don't know, maybe 6 months or so in 1965.

Of course, I was only 9 at the time, but I wanted so badly to dress like a teenager.  I saw the boy watcher sunglasses on a display rack at Nelson's Drug Store.  Nelson's was right across the street from my school.  Every once in awhile, when I had allowance money burning a hole in my pocket, I would peruse the aisles there looking to see if there was anything cool I could buy.  I had recently bought my Date Line clutch purse there, so I felt like the boy watcher sunglasses would go well with the purse.

Mine were basic white that would go with anything.  There was just a little line of sunglass area so that you could check people out but they couldn't see your eyes.  Besides looking at boys with them, I felt like they could be used as a tool for my career as a spy.

Such a crazy fad ... I mean, think about it.  What good were sunglasses like that?  You wouldn't be able to do the one thing that every teenage girl wanted to do - drive a car!


Mama’s Losin’ It


This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt  4.) Something you once wore.  If you'd like to read other responses, visit Kathy's blog, Mama's Losin' It.

5 comments:

  1. Boy Watchers! What a perfect name for them! They look much cuter as a headband than as actual glasses, don't they?

    So fun! Visiting from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a name like Boy Watchers, I kind of want to wear them, too! Great post :)

    Stopping by from MK's,
    Tori@theramblings

    ReplyDelete
  3. That.is.awesome!!! Oh so awesome!

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember them. I had a pair but couldn't see too well out of them, mainly wore them as a head band. I was a senior in high school in 1965.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember those at all. But I was in college then and we weren't allowed TVs in our rooms and didn't have time to watch anyway. During the summer of 1965, I was offered a job at the college, so took summer classes. I guess I missed the ads for "boy watchers". Otherwise I might have bought them, too.

    I wrote my response to Mama Kat's prompt about something I almost wore in 1963:
    http://proartz.blogspot.com/2012/11/this-weeks-prompt-on-mamas-losin-it-was.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.