Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful for Mentors

I'm thankful for all those that have poured into my life, teachers, authors and Titus 2 ladies that served as great examples.

It's a biblical concept that more mature ladies in the faith teach younger ladies how to run their homes and love their families.  Over the years I've met some great ones:

Sister Bates who, in my mind, was the ultimate church lady.  Deacons' wife, song leader, GA leader and any thing else needed in the church - she did it all. And she did it cheerfully - I don't think I ever saw her in a bad mood.  

Roberta and Lois who taught me faithfulness in being at every service and who found something to laugh at every day.

Sister Hart who taught me many things about organization.  I learned about lists and planners from her.  She introduced me to The Sidetracked Home Executive, a book that revolutionized my approach to running my home.

Speaking of books, I'm thankful I have learned so much from authors.  Fascinating Womanhood and The Disciplines of a Beautiful Woman are some of the earliest books I remember reading about self-improvement.  Later on, I devoured all of Emilie Barnes books on home organization. I don't know how many times I've read Florence Littauer's book, It Takes So Little To Be Above Average.

The book currently teaching me so much is the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  Her book is about the value of looking for and counting blessings in every day life and practicing the presence of God right where you are. She also writes a blog, A Holy Experience, that never fails to give me some nugget of inspiration to ponder.

Mentioning A Holy Experience brings me to the wonderful world of blogs.  Since I started blogging in May of 2008, I have met a host of women who share inspiration as well as practical help every day on their blogs.  I only wish I could have access to all these wonderful ideas back when my children were young.  Ideas for cooking, child rearing, home decor, crafts as well as bible study, ministry and marriage abound in cyberspace. 

 I wish I had time to list and link them all for you, but I am writing this before work.  Such is the life of a working blogger!

I am just so grateful that I have had the opportunity to be mentored by amazing ladies, be it in real life, or through books or cyberspace.   God has made fantastic unique individuals, all with something valuable to share.  We were made for community and to teach one another!


Encouragementfordailybiblereading




All during the month of November, I will be sharing my gratitude for all God has given me. I'm joining Joyful Reader on her Giving Thanks Challenge at her blog, Encouragement for Daily Bible Reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.