Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fight

I'm upset.  Last night, I heard about a fallen brother.  I knew he fell because he very publicly announced it on facebook.

I have to say, I was shocked.  Of all people to fall!  He was a worshipper.  (I've watched him with my own eyes go to the altar and dance before the Lord with joy.) He was raised to love God.  He has great parents who have raised him up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. He's a very smart and talented individual.  His test scores were so high that he got a free ride to the college of his choice.

What went wrong?

I asked God about this. The Holy Spirit reminded me of this scripture:

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." Psalm 119:11

Yes, being a worshiper is a great thing.  The bible tells us that the Lord inhabits the praises of His people, and worshiping brings His presence near us.  It's very important, but it's knowing the word that keeps you from sinning.

The basic tenets taught to new believers is church attendance, prayer and bible reading.  Those disciplines in turn enable us to do works and to witness.

Now, I have no doubt that this young man knew the Word, had heard it many times.  What happened, though, when he left home and went to college?  If he is like a lot of our young people, the first thing to happen was he quit going to church, stopped praying and stopped reading the bible.  It probably wasn't a deliberate thing, probably a gradual sliding away due to his new lifestyle.  After all, it's hard to find a new church home all by yourself!  How welcoming are our churches to college students, anyway?

The question came to my mind, "How many were praying for him that he would stand strong as a Christian in his new life?"  Well ... I'm sure his parents were praying for him, surely his church family was praying,  but it never occurred to me to pray.  I hardly know him!  Then I wondered, how many of us in my own church family are praying for our children? All right, let's get down to the brass tacks - am I praying for the other believers I know?

We need to be in prayer for all our brothers and sisters in Christ!

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" 1Peter 5:8

Young believers are vulnerable.  In fact, ALL believers can be attacked.  Matthew 24:24 tells us:

"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

The very elect - believers that you and I know.  In fact, it could be that you or I could be deceived.

Child of God, we are in a battle.  It seems that we forget that we are warriors and want to take life easy.  We need to remember that we are not home yet.  We need to be doing those basic tenets daily and with vigor!  Pray like we have never prayed before, study and take up the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, and do battle.

Our brothers and sisters need us to engage in spiritual warfare like never before. It's time to "man-up" and fight!


"Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Post.. This is the reason my very best friend ( since 5th grade) and I share once a week who needs added prayers..We then pray...and ask for guidance as We are mere prayer warriors...
    ~~Peace & Love & Healing & Blessings~~ "D"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Jerri,
    I have a sophmore in college and I would be happy to know one more prayer warrior is praying for him. His name is Jacob, he is the oldest of five, gaurded in college, but I pray he will choose to serve God with all his heart and not be swayed.
    I am sorry to hear about this young man and pray that God will hear the cries of many and he will return to the Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I hear more and more about my friends' and co-workers' children and younger family members struggling -- against addiction, against peer pressure -- it's certainly driven me to pray more diligently for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.