Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Prayer - Don't Give Up!



The topic for this month's What's On Your Mind, '09, is prayer. I'm linking this post at Shane's Heart Reflections. Please visit her to read more on this subject.


I hesitate to share the following because I do not want any credit for doing what God told me to do, but I think this kind of thing happens all the time. I want to encourage my sisters in the Lord to pray and not give up when it seems nothing is happening, or it seems too hard.


Recently, our church has been talking about the need for prayer. We feel that our church really needs a move of God and that requires prayer.


I felt that the time for talking about it was past; now, it was time to start praying! I felt that God wanted me to start coming about 45 minutes early to evening church on Sundays to pray.


Let me be honest. I didn't want to do that. Sunday afternoons are sacred to me - it's my one opportunity to take a nap. If things went well, by that I mean if I got dinner on the table at a reasonable time and got the kitchen cleaned up quickly, I might have an hour on Sundays to nap. If I have to leave early to pray, there goes my nap.


But I have needs. My family has needs. My church has needs. I have all these things that I want to see God do and yet I can't give up a nap to seek His face?


So, the first week, I went early and prayed. I had invited others to come but things happened and I was the only one there. I felt good about it, though, and even though I didn't see any change yet, I felt groundwork had been laid.


Let me tell you, that all hell broke loose that week. Some of these things I had discussed in earlier posts, some I haven't shared.


I thought about quitting. But no, I am not a quitter, and I had made a commitment to PUSH - pray until something happens.


The next week, a lady joined me in coming early to pray. You're not going to believe this, but the next day, that lady found out her brother was murdered! Later on in the week, I got stung by a wasp and my leg swelled up and made life miserable. (I'm highly allergic to wasps.) Our ladies retreat had to be postponed due to bad weather and several of the ladies having emergencies in their families.


I hesitated to share this with you because I'm sure you're thinking, "well, what good did that praying do?"


Of course, I've been asking God the same thing. Here is a scripture that the Holy Spirit brought to mind:


"Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia." Daniel 10:12-13 NIV


The prince of the Persian kingdom is a demonic spirit trying to keep God's answer to prayer from getting through.


I take comfort from this. Even though it may not feel like it, my call to prayer was from God. Even though it may not feel like it, God does hear my prayer. Even though it may not feel like it, an answer is on its way.


Is this the time to quit praying? NO!


Do I pray even though evidence against it seems overwhelming? YES!


For we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV


This past Sunday, I was at it again. I know the answer is coming.


I hope you'll continue to check in here at Jerri's Journey, because when the answers start coming in, I'll be sharing about it!

9 comments:

  1. Hey there Jerri,

    I've enjoyed the post here on your blog. Thanks for sharing your encouraging words on the realtionship between fear and change on my blog. I can't wait to see the answered prayers you'll post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Even when we can't see it, and we don't understand what's going on, we need to keep praying. God is faithful and we can trust HIM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, amen, Jerri! We can't go by our feelings or what we see or don't see...we know God is faithful and will honor these prayers you are sending up...the enemy is a liar and he wants prayer warriors to throw in the towel and give up...and I agree with Zoe...I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store and the answers He sends....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can´t wait to hear about the answers! I´m very sure that they will be coming soon. Our God is great and He is there for us. You are an inspiration to me! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you for this! He's been asking me to do something similar and I needed to hear someone's experience first. The devil doesn't like when we get powerfully close to Christ. He'll pull out all the stops to get us to give up. Great to read your guidance through the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing is more exciting than answered prayer and it always comes at just the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep up the praying. If you weren't doing something right the enemy wouldn't be attacking. He is trying to get you to stop. That way he has his way.

    I rebuke Satan and Ask the Lord to hear and answer your prayers. Father bless Jerri and her prayer partners as they come before your throne. We know that you hear our prayers and that it is your will that is important. Lord please protect us as we kneel before you. Thank you for loving us. In Jesus' precious name, Amen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Jerri,
    That message on prayer was really enjoyable and also encouraging. I have tried to wake up early to pray as I am not normally a morning person but the Lord has been wanting me to pray and read the word early (yikes) so I have had to put an alarm next to my bed to wake up early and mind you it is the hardest thing to do, but once I wake up, read and pray, the whole day is so much easier and I am able to walk in that peace and all the other things that is done in the day is so much more enjoyable, yes I am often tired, but the Lord knows and he gives me the rest I need. Like the word of God says, do not give up for in due season you will reap a harvest if you do not give up (galations 6:9). God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Jerri,
    That message on prayer was really enjoyable and also encouraging. I have tried to wake up early to pray as I am not normally a morning person but the Lord has been wanting me to pray and read the word early (yikes) so I have had to put an alarm next to my bed to wake up early and mind you it is the hardest thing to do, but once I wake up, read and pray, the whole day is so much easier and I am able to walk in that peace and all the other things that is done in the day is so much more enjoyable, yes I am often tired, but the Lord knows and he gives me the rest I need. Like the word of God says, do not give up for in due season you will reap a harvest if you do not give up (galations 6:9). God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.