Saturday, October 24, 2020

Are you searching for certainty?

 



It has often been said, "timing is everything." I received my copy of Shelly Miller's "Searching for Certainty," in the midst of my COVID quarantine.

Already on the launch team, I'd been reading online; but there is nothing like a physical book for highlighting and notemaking in the margins!

Only able to read portions at a time due to the overwhelming need for sleep, I now feel I read the book in the best way of all: thoughtfully, slowly meditating on her points. In fact, I feel racing along reading her book would be to do all Shelly's hard work an injustice.

She weaves both the exodus story and her life story together illustrating her main points in such a relatable way; it causes me to examine my own life. The thoughtful questions at the end of each chapter are deep and searching. (I'm going to revisit this book again and again.)

I think to sum up the main point of her book is to realize searching for certainty is fruitless; instead, searching for signs of God's presence in the midst of our uncertainties is the real treasure we should be seeking.



I'm sure in the coming days, I'll be led to share more of this wonderful book with my readers. Shelly herself is a treasure. I first met her long ago in the blogging world and joined her group, The Sabbath Society, then fell in love with her first book, "Rhythms of Rest."

If you are tired of the rat race and want to grow spiritually, you need to read you some Shelly Miller!


~~~


I'm sharing this post with the community at 

Inspire Me Monday

#TellHisStory

InstaEncouragements Link-Up

Recharge Wednesday

Let's Have Coffee

#TuneInThursday


~~~

Hey, I love it that you dropped by! It would be an honor if you would subscribe to receive my posts by email. Just enter your email in the box labeled, "Follow By Email," just above my profile in the right hand column.

Also, you can find me at Instagram under jerralea

Check out the top 5 recently viewed posts at the Journey:

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an incredible book, Jerralea! Thanks for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerralea, I'm so sorry you were so sick! I'm glad, though, that you had the opportunity to really digest Shelley's book. As a woman who tends to search for certainty, this book sounds like one I need to add to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear from you, and sorry that you have been through so much sickness. It's just like you to come out on the other end sharing a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jerralea, for your insights and impressions of this book, so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerralea, like you, I was so glad to get my physical copy as it is underlined and written in and will be read again. It was most encouraging in these unsettling days. Praying for the Lord to restore both your health and strength. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you said, "searching for certainty is fruitless; instead, searching for signs of God's presence in the midst of our uncertainties is the real treasure we should be seeking." Thank you for sharing this book. I am adding it to my list. Maree

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.