Saturday, July 18, 2026

If You Want to Go That Route ...

I live on a state route. It runs approximately 167 miles from the tip of our state to the mid-state region. The route goes through parts of the Shawnee National Forest and has many beautiful stops. It also has many opportunities to get off the beaten path. A person could get lost; but if he found a state route marker on the road, he could easily determine the way back home.




I am also on a spiritual journey. It has many twists and turns along the way and it would be easy to follow a rabbit trail and end up far from where I started.

My pastor, Jack Oliver, once said this: "Whatever has my attention determines my direction."

Just like finding a mile marker helps get us back on the route we intended to travel, getting our eyes fixed on Jesus gets us back on our spiritual journey Home.

In our travels, we often run across many distractions ... things we think will make our journey easier or more productive. Things we don't see any harm in doing. Maybe we join forces with a group who seems like-minded but we soon realize they are leading us down the wrong path.

What do we do? We get our eyes back on Jesus. He is big enough to get us on the route Home.

The answer is always to seek Him first.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Matthew 6:33 NKJV

 

It's a simple strategy ... but it works! 


~~

Today's post is a response to the prompt, "route," provided by the writers at the Five Minute Friday community.

I'd also like to offer a little prayer I wrote about God's protection on our journey:


SHADE


The Lord himself watches over you!
    The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade. 
Psalm 121:5 New Living Translation


Abba,

 

I stand on Your Word; so, I believe You are watching over everything happening in my life. You are protecting me – even from bad decisions because you know my heart is to honor You.

 

When the heat of humiliation threatens to overwhelm me, Your shade will protect me.

 

You are watching over me and only allowing what is best for me to touch me.

 

Help me to remember this. Don’t let me get stuck when I wonder if I took the wrong steps. Help me keep moving forward, always keeping my eyes on You. If I have not seen what You want me to see, I pray you will open my eyes and heart to see them.

 

Help me to get Home to You with honor.

 

In Jesus’ mighty name, so be it, amen.

All photos created in PicMonkey by Jerralea using personal, family and stock photos. Please do not copy. 

~~

Thanks for dropping by the Journey! I want to always share my post, A Ticket Home, for those who might not know the way Home.

Sharing at Five Minute Friday




7 comments:

  1. good post and reminder. Seeking God first keeps us well on the route. visiting from FMF12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! My aim is to always seek Him first. He is the way Home!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. It's very thought provoking.
    Following His path and purpose isn't always easy, but it's always worth it.
    Blessings and success to you and yours!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Whatever has my attention determines my direction." ... maybe that's why I veer out of my lane as I drive ... I love looking at the scenery, but I shouldn't focus on it when I'm driving! Amen! Keep my eyes on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.