Friday, November 18, 2022

Praise Posts 2022 - #5 – Thankful for Flourishing

 


For they are transplanted to the Lord’s own house.
    They flourish in the courts of our God.
Even in old age they will still produce fruit;
    they will remain vital and green.

Psalm 92:13-14 New Living Translation


The above scripture comes from Psalm 92 which is entitled “A Song for the Sabbath Day. How appropriate to give reasons for showing up at God’s House.

 

I love knowing we can be productive all our lives - and I love the idea of being planted in the house of the Lord. (I’m a church girl from way back. My mom carried me to church from the age of 2 weeks on.)

 

To be planted and flourishing means the roots must take hold. Also, if you are planted, you’re not moving from place to place. People can come back and find you where you’ve always been – a part of the spiritual landscape, if you will.

 

For example, as long as Grandma Effie was alive, I could always attend my home church and find her sitting in the second row, piano side. Only hospitalization or death kept her from being there.

 

I could also count on her giving a praise at testimony time. Every time.

 

The word “flourishing” struck a chord with me. I looked it up in the original language and it basically means two things: to bloom or blossom abundantly; and also, to make fly, as in extending the wings.

 

What a word picture! As I’m planted at God’s house, I can bloom and give off the sweet aroma of Christ. (See 2 Corinthians 2:14)


I can also soar like an eagle (see yesterday’s post) because my roots have given me wings in growing in my calling, in my knowledge of Him, in my journey of becoming more Christlike.

 

If I stay planted, I’m promised to bear fruit, to be vital and green (or growing). For this worshipper in the middle of her sixties, it brings me joy to know and claim this promise.

 

So, there you have it. The secret to being fresh and flourishing in your old age: staying connected to the Vine. It’s your choice.

 

 


Welcome to Praise Posts 2022!

 

In the midst of the crazy world we live, I’m more grateful than ever for the Word of God. Scripture gives me a firm foundation to stand upon when everything else seems shaky. It seems each day I crave His Word even more, and it speaks to me even more plainly than it ever has.

 

With that in mind, I’ve decided to make this year’s Praise Posts all about scripture. Beginning November 14 and running through November 24, I am planning to pick out 10 scriptures that meant the most to me in 2022 and do a Praise Post each day on one of them. I hope you’ll join me each day by posting one of your favorite scriptures in the comment section.

 

All photos created in PicMonkey by Jerralea using personal, family and stock photos. Please do not copy.


Previous Post: Thankful to Rise Up

I'm Linking up with Grace & Truth

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jerralea, I so enjoyed this wonderful praise and encouragement today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful praise post Jerri.
    Visiting today from G&T

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.