Thursday, March 5, 2020

Opinion: Do I need to share mine?

Opinions, they say, are like ears, everybody has a couple.

In today's culture, it seems like everyone is in a rush to chime in with their opinions. Social media gives us a platform to do so; used to be, it was at beauty salons, barber shops and the corner diner where we'd express our thoughts and feelings. We could still get in trouble giving our 2¢, but not on a world-wide level as can happen today.

Seriously, though, as a Christian, does the world need to hear my opinion?

It's a little confusing.

The bible does say that we are to speak the truth in love.

It also teaches us to be a man (or woman) of few words. Let your yes be yes, and your no, no. I feel that implies,"and say little else!"

Let's examine these two statements in context.

First, speaking the truth in love is found in Ephesians 4:14-16. Paul is talking about how the body of Christ (the church) is to function. He says this,


"We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ..."

Notice we are speaking the truth in love to other believers.


Now, let's address the idea believers should communicate by few words. The statement, "Let your yes be yes, and your no, no," is found in the Sermon on the Mount where Jesus outlines principles for kingdom living. It's about making an oath, or swearing by something to prove your point:



34 But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. 35 And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. 36 Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. 37 Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one. Matthew 5:34-37 NLT

Basically, if you have to swear by something because the strength of your character is not enough, what good is it?

BOOM!

Back to my original question: Do I need to share my opinions? I think the answer is, "Rarely, unless asked."

There is a time to stand up. But use your words for times that count. Spouting off on social media doesn't change minds; it often closes them to anything you might say in the future.

And now, I invite your opinion. My blog is a safe place. Do you think people should express their opinions? Feel free to comment, with civility!


This is post #24 of my "Walk the Walk Christian Living Series," written from the perspective of a recovering perfectionist. You can go here to see the links of each post as they go live. 

I'm linking up with Let's Have Coffee and #TuneInThursday.

3 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with you. If it's something like "hey Faith could you tell me your opinion on hiking Goodnow Mt vs Blue Mt" then I'm all for that! But when it comes to controversial matters...I will only state my opinion if directly asked or if I want to gently correct someone. Like someone the other day posted a scripture that they then tried to explain (from OT) and her comments made it seem like it was "the rule". I gently answered with a NT scripture that further explains it for Believers today and spoke how Jesus came to abolish the law and we live in a new covenant. I guess that's Truth not my opinion, but she took it to be my opinion. As for political opinions, I try to avoid arguements and discussions on social media. It's just not worth it to me. and I don't want to ruin my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you said it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much that is good to say is better to say one on one and face to face so you can communicate well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.