Friday, February 14, 2020

Surprise: 5 Unexpected Blessings

On our journey, we are going to be surprised by challenges, obstacles and blessings. Often, you'll hear someone say, "Whoa - didn't see that coming!"


But God is never surprised by what happens to us or what we might need. He knows before we even get around to uttering them in prayer. 


"Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!" Matthew 6:8 NLT

He still wants you to ask for guidance, direction and needs, though; because He likes communicating with you. It's a major reason why He made humans in the first place - He wanted fellowship.

In 2020, I've made a practice of reflecting upon and sharing 5 blessings from my week.

When talking about God knowing my need before I even ask, I realize it's the same way with my weekly blessings. He provides things to uplift and cheer me in this life without my even asking for them.

Here's my unexpected five:

1. Belated birthday dinner - On Sunday after church, my sister-in-love asked if we were free for dinner. They wanted to treat me for my birthday. Good food and good fellowship followed. It's wonderful when like minds get together. We had quite the fascinating conversation on end-time prophecy. Surprised by kindness!

2. We've had several days of cloudiness and rain. All I'd heard about was how cold Friday was going to be. Today is beautifully sunny. Surprised by the light!

3. I'd ordered Jennie Allen's new book, Get Out of Your Head to read as the same time as a friend; but I had fooled around doing it, and it was sold out. Today, I get a message it's on it's way. Surprised by speediness!

4. Yesterday, I'd related how I'd been studying the concept of hesed and God's covenant loyal love. I'm up to 108 instances and I know there are at least 247 total in the Old Testament. The King James Version translates it mostly as loving kindness, the New Living Translation chose unfailing love. Either way, I'll take it. I'm constantly surprised by His love. It's everywhere!

5. Surprised by anticipation. I'm looking forward to Saturday, the day I take as my personal Sabbath. I've been working two jobs for 15 years. I'm so happy to have rearranged things where I can have most of Saturday off. (I can't seem to make ALL of Saturday be rest - but I'm getting there.) I can't believe how much I look forward to Saturdays!

You might say these things are nothing earth-shaking (well, except for the one about God's love); but I think it proves the point I started out with in this post: He knows what I need before I ask and He provides little blessings all along my journey.

How about you? Has goodness surprised you this week? Let us know in the comments; or consider making your own post and linking up with the Friday's Fave Five group. You can find them here.


This is post #12 of my "Walk the Walk Christian Living Series." You can go here to see the links of each post as they go live.

I'm also linking this post to the community at Grace&Truth.


6 comments:

  1. Very nice surprises! Happy Valentine's day to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great surprises and ones we would appreciate. Lunch with family who are also friends is a fave with me, too.
    In Psalm 136 is loving kindness 'hesed'? (I'll have to ask my Hebrew literate hubby)
    Happy Valentine's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love how you focused on the unexpected blessings of your week. Thanks for showing us how God's hand is in everything! A Belated Happy Valentine's Day to you! See you again soon! P.S. I will have to look for that book you got. Sounds like one I would enjoy reaading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pleasant collection of surprises! Dinner out is a favorite of mine, and to be treated makes it even more special. We've had a long time of overcast skies and rain, too. So good to see the sun come out again. I love the concept of Sabbath and look forward to it, too. I so agree with the first part of your post, too. Nothing takes God by surprise, and in His love He plants little surprise blessings for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post. I often feel surprised when I look back at my week and have a hard time narrowing my FFF list down to just five. Blessed indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice surprises! --Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.