Friday, January 17, 2020

Choosing sacrifices ...

We all have 24 hours of time in a day. It's the great equalizer: rich or poor, brilliant or just average, high class or lowest of the low, we still each have 24 hours.



We get to choose how we spend it. There is not enough time in each day to do all the things; so we must make decisions.

The things that are important to us must be determined. When it gets down to it, some things must be sacrificed for other things.

For example, when I started being serious about writing, I had to make time to actually put my fingers to the keyboard (or, for you purists, put pen to paper). In order to do that, I have to sacrifice some sleep time.

I'm passionate about being a student of the Word and preparing lessons for my bible study class. When do I do it? A lot of my lunch hours are spent scribbling on notepads and underlining passages in the Word and in commentaries.

Hey! I was supposed to be using that part of my lunch hour to get steps in for my fitness goals. What to do?  Something else must be sacrificed.

And so it goes. I don't have a perfect answer. It's a constant determining what season of life I'm in and what matters most.

(Stop)

It's vital to understand my callings and what is important to me. If I don't know, I can't make good decisions. Do you know what is most important to you?

~~~

This post was written in response to the Five Minute Friday word prompt, "sacrifice." Join in here, or leave a comment letting us know what is worthy of sacrifice to you.
~~~

I'm also linking this post to the communities at Grace&Truth,
Inspire Me Monday
Recharge Wednesday
Let's Have Coffee

6 comments:

  1. Even with (the best of) priorities, there is always sacrifice. Such a bummer when it happens to be lunch:) Enjoyed your thoughts today. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thought provoking! Thanks for sharing! Sarah from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do know what is most important to me.
    Happy Weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that there are some things
    that I could do without;
    I'll pass on 'blessings' cancer brings,
    and you won't see me pout.
    First to go should be the vomit,
    down it goes, whoops, here it comes
    like a technicolour comet;
    and I'd give up, too, the runs.
    I'll also hand on the fatigue
    and, of course, the constant pain
    that lately has been in the league
    of those whom in torture train.
    All this I would fain abridge
    and drop 'em of the nearest bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very thought provoking. I struggle with this so much. Your post has given me a new perspective. Thank you. Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so true and such a struggle at times with what to prioritize and what to sacrifice. You sound like a busy lady especially with ministry. One thing I've learned to be true, we'll never find time in the lost and found. Once it's gone, it's gone and we can never get it back. So it's important to me to make the most of the time in any day. Not even necessarily being what we think is "productive." Although that is good. Sometimes it's being present in the present with our family and giving them our quality time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.