Friday, December 6, 2019

Never in a rush .....

I spend my days in a rush, hurrying on to the next thing. (And there's always a next thing.)


But I notice Jesus was never in a rush. He was interrupted constantly; yet I never see where he reacted with impatience.





For example, the day He was on His way to heal Jairus' daughter, He got interrupted by the arrival of a woman who scrooched down and slithered through the crowd until she was finally able to grab hold of the edge of His garment.


He stopped immediately. "Who touched me?" He inquired of the crowd, who I'm sure looked at him with questioning eyes. There was a crowd pressing Him as He walked. Who could tell who might have accidentally bumped into Him?


But this wasn't just any kind of touch - it was a grabbing onto hope. The woman was desperate for relief and had faith that this miracle-working Jesus would be her answer.


And instantly her faith was justified as the One Who is More Than Enough met her need.


And then? Then He went on to the next thing, which was to raise a girl from the dead.


All in a day's work!

~~~

This post was written in response to a prompt at the Five Minute Friday community. You can go here to see more responses.


But I want to expand a bit more on Jesus never being in a rush. He was the master of waiting for the right time. He was doing life with us for 30 years before He stepped out into ministry. (Wouldn't you or I have impatiently started out way earlier?)

And then He spent three years with a band of followers discipling them.

He spent three days in a tomb. If it had been me, I'd have came out a lot sooner!

Thirty years as just a regular guy, then three years in ministry, followed by three days redeeming, then forty days tying up loose ends before He went Home.

I guess He thought we were worth the time.
~~~

I'm also linking this post to the communities at Grace&Truth

11 comments:

  1. Great post! We can learn a lot from Jesus' example. I love that he made time for the woman who touched his robe even though he was on the way to Jairus' house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No, for you I have no time,
    I've only time for me,
    but tell you what, my next earned dime
    goes to your charity.
    I’m fixin', here, to boldly build
    a legacy to far outlast
    my body, which years will have killed,
    so I'm a-workin' fast.
    I've drawings for an edifice
    upon my drafting table;
    no one's seen one quite like this
    since the good old days of Babel!"
    He succeeded, died, and thus his fame:
    a tower raised by what's-his-name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Thank you for this wonderful reminder to slow down and be more like Jesus. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST read this story this morning and latched on to the same idea... here a man begs Jesus for the life of his daughter only to have to wait while Jesus healed another. We don't hear about that man's demeanor (was he anxious?), only that Jesus stopped one mercy to engage another. Each of us is worthy and worth His attention. Oh, that melts my heart. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Jesus was never in a rush. And still has time for us. When ever and always. He was people centered over getting tasks done centered. Trying to become more like him. People need taken care of, tasks can usually wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May we always pray for wisdom to know what to rush and when to pause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Jesus was never in a hurry and the thought about Him being the Master of the right time. He certainly is! Thanks for this encouraging post!

    Thanks for linking up at InstaEncouragemetns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Always busy and occupied with the Father' business, but never in a hurry.
    I have so much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If Jesus didn't rush, why do I think I need to? Sigh. This is something I struggle with myself. I always find more things to do than time to do them in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think about how Jesus was never in a rush, but all that He set out to accomplish ALWAYS got done! In His perfect timing.

    In the same way, the Lord has ordered our steps and prepared works for us to do. In the doing, we are to honor Him and be obedient and do the next right thing, EVEN if it slows us down to our perceived goal for the day.

    Thanks for sharing this encouragement to emulate Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful reminder that Jesus was never in a rush. He was always about the Father's business, purposeful and present. Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.