Friday, April 26, 2019

Keeping in Touch




It's an ironic thing that I, a writer, have trouble keeping in touch with people. You'd think it would be an easy thing to shoot out letters and emails to people, far and wide, wherever they may live.

I mean, we do live in the age of instant communication.

Partly, I blame it on procrastination because I, of course, want to write the ultimate letter or email that a person would remember forever for my wit, keen observation, and general "wow" factor.

So, until I have the actual time to sit down and concoct such perfection, I put it off.

The other reason I don't get such things done is how crazy-busy each day seems to be. I have no one to blame it on but myself, but still the truth boils down to this:  I don't think about it. Jotting notes and sending emails just never occurs to me because I'm too preoccupied with the minutia of life and goals.

It's sad, really.

Let me know if you identify with such problems. Please don't say I'm the only one!

STOP - 5 Minute Free Write Time is Up!

I know God intends for us to be involved with one another. He made us for community. I believe this so strongly that I've devoted my life to being part of the leadership of my local church with the aim of being willing to do whatever is asked of me to help strengthen the body of believers.

Questions I wrestle with are these: 

Am I reaching out on a daily basis to touch someone's life?

If not, why not?

If not now, when? 

I've identified the problem. Now I must move being intentional in touching others to the top of my priorities. After all, what is more important?

Isn't that why we're here? To walk each other to our forever Home?

One of the reasons I love online community so much is that there is so much wisdom here in cyberspace. I can tap into some great thoughts of other writers who wrestle with the same questions on many of the same topics I struggle mastering. Today, I'm linking this post with the great minds at Five Minute Friday, #FreshMarketFriday and Grace&Truth.

Join us, won't you?


3 comments:

  1. I definitely identify with pretty much all of it! I'm terrible at even the basics of thank-you notes. Maybe its because as a writer I want to really pour myself out in the notes and there just isn't the time or resources to do that on a mass level.
    Thank you for sharing. I appreciated your humor throughout this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I think I'm the opposite. I answer as soon as possible, truthfully, I don't have a lot of people to reply to, if I had more blog followers, it might be different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jerralea -- I'm like you, feeling like I need to choose between scintillation and silence. And feathered into that drama is this sense that I don't actually matter. Overcoming that impediment was my first job. Eventually, I learned that people appreciated my condolence cards, for example, whenever they arrived and whatever they said. As you say, touching and connecting is really the point after all. Thanks for making yourself vulnerable. I'm with you.

    I'm visiting from FNF. A few months ago, I posted this. Maybe you can relate. https://fashionedforjoy.com/2019/02/23/just-me/ . Best wishes, Carol Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.