Friday, November 9, 2018

Lay every burden down

Today, I'm joining the community at Five Minute Friday as writers join in to free-write on the one-word topic: Burden.




GO

It's funny this week's word would be burden. All week, there has been a song running through my subconscious. It wasn't a familiar song. The only phrase that stuck with me was the line, "I lay every burden down." 

So, eventually, I went to YouTube and did a search and found the song "At the Foot of the Cross." Such a powerful song! The idea is you receive beauty for ashes when you lay your burden at the cross. 

Why are you holding onto it anyway?

Most burdens are something we are not to meant to carry.

I don't mean the fine tension between responsibilities, goals and dreams that sometimes feel like a lot to carry.

I'm talking of the burdens of regret and shame. Regret for things you have done; but, now wish you hadn't. Or maybe your regrets are things you know should have done. A big burden can be shame for things done to you.

The song also has another powerful lyric, "and wear forgiveness like a crown."

Therein lies the whole message. Go to Jesus and give Him that heaviness. Ask for help to forgive the one who sinned against you - even if it was yourself.

Lay it down so you can continue on your journey!

STOP


Please enjoy this YouTube video: At the Foot of the Cross -Kathryn Scott (Subscribers will need to click through to my actual blog to view the video.)





A note to my readers:

As you may know, October was taken up with the Write 31 Days challenge and my experimentation with writing fiction; so in November, I'm getting back into my groove.

Actually ... my groove has changed. After all, a groove should not be a rut!

For now, I am thinking of going with the following publishing schedule:  Monday's posts will be something inspirational, Wednesday's posts will be Christian fiction, and on Fridays I will either participate with community at Five Minute Friday, or from time to time, I will drop in on the community at Friday's Fave Five - because we all need to look for the blessings in our lives.

As always, there will be a healthy dose of memoir sprinkled in among my writing - all the things in my life happened for a reason - I might as well share.

I just want you to know how highly I value those of you that make your way to the Journey to read my words! I believe encouraging others with the written word is a worthy calling. Thank you especially to those who respond. You make it worthwhile! 


~~~

I'll also be linking up with the communities at #FreshMarketFriday and Grace&Truth.

4 comments:

  1. Our burdens can come in so many forms, shapes, and sizes. How wonderful it is to know that no matter the form, shape, or size of our burdens, we can lay them all at the Cross. I appreciate your post. Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm good at laying my burdens down, but then I seem to pick them up instead of leaving them there at the cross. Got to work on that :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I carry too much burdens around that aren't mine to carry. :( I definitely need these reminders to lay them ALL down at the foot of the cross. Thanks, Jerralea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good word here, Jerrelea. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.