Sunday, October 28, 2018

Day 28 - Sharon's Come to Jesus Moment


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17

Presently, I heard the quiet tones of the person who was speaking earlier in my hospital room.

“Nurse reports the patient had tears running down her face and she was whispering over and over, ‘God, please forgive me!’ I feel the patient may be coming conscious in the next few hours.”

“Doc, do you think she can hear me?” came a trembling voice I knew well.

“It’s very possible,” the Doctor replied. “There are reports of coma victims becoming conscious and repeating word for word things said at their bedside while the family thought they were out of it. But, I still can’t understand the patient’s unconsciousness. There are no signs of trauma to the brain.”

Amazingly, I heard my mother say, “It might be because of years of trauma to the spirit.”

“Doc, would it be okay if I spent some time here with her?”

Doc replied compassionately, “Take all the time you need. Just ring the buzzer if she becomes conscious.”

I hear the door close softly and then another pregnant pause.

A soft light diffused the darkness behind my eyelids, but try as I might, I could not open them.

I heard mom choke out from a tear-clogged throat, “Morgan, I am so very sorry.”

“It kills me to see you laying like death here.”

She jumped up and started pacing up and down the room. “I don’t know, maybe it’s easier to say this without you looking at me; but I’ve been a jerk. Here I hated my old man for the cruelty he showed.”

“But what’s worse? Whipping a child with a belt or whipping her with your tongue?”

“All these years you’ve been gone, I’ve relived every cruel thing I ever said. I shocked myself because I didn’t know I was capable of saying such things. I dwelled for years on the wrongs that had been done to me.”

She snorted a hoarse laugh, “You know Mama always said that hurting people hurt people. She meant Dad hurt me because his dad hurt him. And she didn’t even know the half of it!”

A long silence, “But, I thought I’d never be like that old man. Instead, I was worse. The beatings I got healed up eventually, but the scars of the words I said to you …

She approached my bed and grabbed my hand – “Morgan, I am so very sorry!”

“I didn’t mean it! I didn’t mean it at all! I see now that you were the blessing God sent to comfort me when I lost Joe Lee.”

“Sister Clara made me see how I’d let a root of bitterness grow in me until it choked out every kind and loving thought I might have. By the time you were a teenager, only hate could spew out of my mouth!”

Suddenly I felt mom’s head lying on my shoulder as she soaked the sheets with her tears. “Oh God, I’m so sorry!  Please forgive me for being angry with You and everybody else!”

I wanted so bad to comfort my mom! I worked like anything to open my eyes, but they were still so heavy.

Mom went on, “I’m a dirty rotten sinner just like my old man – please take this mess and change me into a new creation just like Sister Clara said You would! I’m so sick of me!”

She sniffled, “I promise from this day forward to leave the past behind me and do my best to live for You. Just please let Morgan wake up!”

I worked my jaw a few times trying to say, “Mom, it’s going to be okay,”

At first it was frozen, like when you wake up in the middle of a nightmare wanting to scream, but you can’t. But finally, I got it open and managed to croak, “Mom!”

Mom later said that was the most beautiful sound she’d ever heard!







We are on Day 28 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Sharon takes a look at her life and is sick of herself!


If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.



This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: Mother-Daughter Talk





This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.