Friday, October 12, 2018

Day 12 - Morgan's story begins



"I have loved you with a love that lasts forever." Jeremiah 31:3 CEB

It is said a drowning person has their whole life flash before their eyes before they go down for the last time. I don’t know if that is true; but I do know as I began to emerge from the blackness that fateful day, a slideshow of my life began to play in my mind.

First, I saw myself as a skinny, scraggly-haired kid, jumping with enthusiasm and talking a mile-a-minute. My grandma Rose was always there encouraging me and speaking words of affirmation.

“My, Morgan, you are SO smart,” she’d say as I’d laugh with glee. “You are going to do something awesome someday, I just know it! You will be a blessing to so many.”

She would hug me so tight and kiss my cheeks until they’d tingle! I loved it because I sure didn’t get affection from anyone else.

Then the slideshow changed to scenes of my mom. Tears leaked from my still-shut-tight eyelids. “Oh Lord, I thought, do I really have to go back there? Let me stay with Grandma Rose!”

That last sentence reverberated in my mind because I had said it so many times. Every time my mom came to pick me up, I’d yell and cry, “Let me stay with Grandma Rose!”

It never did any good.

Mom was a mumbler. After every display of my wanting my way, she’d raise her chin and grit her teeth and say all manner of things. I did not understand them but the look on her face spoke volumes. I better get into that car, and get in there now, or there’d be hell to pay.

As these scenes played back, I noticed this time there was a difference. I heard mom’s words and understood her motivations a little better.

For instance, the scene showing mom telling me I couldn’t go to Grandma Rose’s house any longer because she was dead.

“She’s dead, and there’s nothing you can do about it,” Mom declared, “so you might as well quit your sniveling and pipe down.”

I was only 8 years old, but I knew this is not the right way to tell someone a loved one had passed on.

Through choking tears, I cried out to Mom as she stood up and started out of the room, “You are so mean! You don’t even care that I lost the only one who’s ever loved me.”

Mom’s back stiffened like she’d been stabbed. This time, I heard her mumbled words and saw the tears pooling in her eyes.

“Mean? You don’t know the meaning of mean …” she mumbled under her breath as visions filled her brain of her daddy’s hands beating her with a belt until the blood ran.

Shaking her head and angrily swiping at her eyes with her shirt sleeve, she ground out in a low voice, “The only one who ever loved you? Who gave up everything so you could live?”

She marched out of the room and slammed the door.

We didn’t speak for days.






We are on Day 12 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Join us as we learn more and more about Morgan's early life.

If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.


What do YOU think? Are you surprised how hard-hearted Morgan's mom was?



This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: Days of Gray





This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.


I am linking up with these great communities of writers: Grace&Truth, Blogger Voice Network, Dance with Jesus and #FreshMarketFriday.




1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.