Friday, September 14, 2018

Crowding My Mind


Friday has rolled around again, and it is time to join in with the crowd of writers who do a free-write each Friday on one word.  Today’s word is CROWD. (See what I did there?)

Before I do my 5 minutes on any word prompt, I like to sit and think a minute. I’m very careful not to read any blog I’ve subscribed to that participates in the free-write. In fact, I won’t even scroll down in Kate’s blog past the notification of the word.

So, today, I’m thinking of the word “crowd.” The first thing that comes to my mind is “crowd funding,” but I don’t want to write about that. (I really have no knowledge of it.)

Thinking … thinking … then I remember a song that has the phrase, “crowding my mind,” in it. Or at least I thought it did. Turns out – all this time, years and years that I’ve been hearing that song – I had it wrong. I’m talking about the song, “One Day at a Time.”

I always thought the line was “pushin’ and shovin’, crowdin’ my mind.” Instead, it is “Cheating an stealing, violence and crime.”

No matter. I’m still going to write about having a crowded mind!




GO

Lately, I’ve had a crowded mind.

This is the time of year when so much is done in the church office, especially in the last couple weeks. The business meeting report and the annual church profile are all due the same week at one of my churches. The financial reports for the other church are due the end of that week as well.

Our study in Hebrews for my adult class is going deep and taking a lot of room in my brain. This week, it was my turn to lead bible study for our midweek service, so Psalm 19 was resounding in my brain as well.

However, over and above all these things is the sound of inspiration. I’ve been praying for inspiration for a writing project for ten years.

Ten years.

(I’m just wondering if it is a coincidence it took me ten years to birth a story idea, just as it took me ten years to birth a child? Hmm….)

Inspiration has finally come. I’m changing directions and trying my hand at Christian fiction. I’m trying my best to take advantage of this wonderful time; however, I never really knew a drawback to the writing life until now.

My characters won’t leave me alone.

(5 Minutes are Up – but, I’ve more to say!)

They intrude upon my thoughts while driving and I show up somewhere not really remembering the drive there.

Whilst preparing dinner, I’m lost in a plot instead of peeling potatoes.

At o’dark thirty, my eyes pop open and I wonder if I should redo the dialog when Morgan confronts her mother.

I’m supposed to be participating in our nightly ritual of watching Jeopardy! on the DVR with my husband when suddenly I realize Sharon doesn’t look at all like I first imagined her. I better make some changes in the story.

My characters won’t leave me alone – and it’s wonderful!

~~

Have you ever had a crowded mind? Are you feeling just crowded in general? How does crowd-funding work, anyway? Leave a comment and share, or link your on post on the word, “Crowd,” at Five Minute Friday. We’d all love to hear.
~~~



I’m honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe. It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm sharing this also with the communities at Crystal's #FreshMarketFriday and at Arabah Joy's Grace&Truth.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. That's cute how you had the lyrics wrong...maybe you could write your own song? about crowding your mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind is very crowded right now. Enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Jerralea, I remember my church office days. Some weeks, busy wouldn't even begin to describe all that was happening.

    I hear you well ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a church secretary but I AM a special ed PreK teacher and YES this time of year tends to get "crowded" mentally and sometimes emotionally.

    Thankfully, I'm staying in the Word....and crowding my mind with Scripture...to get me through these busy soon to be autumn days!!

    And...Crowd funding?? never heard of it!!

    loved your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so excited for you!! When inspiration hits, it energizes and clutters everything, but it's sooo good. Praying you can clear through the clutter, prioritize and enjoy the writing ride. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.