Saturday, August 11, 2018

Woman


I'm participating in this week's Five Minute Friday, where a group of writers free-write for five minutes on one word.

Today's word:  WOMAN



The other night, the hubs and I were watching one of the Jeopardy shows we had on DVR – don’t judge! – and the question was, “What kind of song is the Helen Reddy classic, I Am Woman?”

The answer was anthem.

Immediately my mind tuned out of the rest of the show as I thought about that song. Her song really spoke to the culture at that time of the mid-to-late 70s.

"If I have to, I can do anything" – Helen Reddy, I Am Woman

Women my age were encouraged to think you could do anything and everything. You could have it all.

Then there was the highly entertaining classic 80’s commercial for Enjoli perfume that not only could we do everything – bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan – but we could look sexy while doing it.

The whole problem is ... it’s not exactly true.

You might feel you can do everything, but you can’t do everything well.

And why should you have to?

Instead, I’m reminded of the words of Jesus who told us without Him you could do nothing.

(5 minutes is up, but as always, I’ve more to say!)

Jesus is not trying to steal our fun or make us be little robots who only do the expected. Let’s read all of what he said,

“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” John 15:5

The truth is, you can live an extremely fruitful life if you are abiding in Jesus.

You can do things that matter; world-changing things, right where He has placed you.
IF you are abiding in Him.

Why wouldn’t you want a Companion, who just happens to be the King of Kings, on your journey?

Be the woman you were meant to be – just be it in Him.

~~~

I’m honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe. It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.


Today, I'm also linking with the communities at Crystal's #FreshMarketFriday and Arabah Joy's Grace&Truth.

3 comments:

  1. Wise words! Thanks for sharing! Blessings to you. Stopping by from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words. Thank you for your encouragement. Visiting from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true... the myth that we can do and have all the things has created a society and culture that is exhausted and unsatisfied. I watched a video recently that talked about how we can not, in fact, have it all! But in Him, we have all we need --and He will enable and equip us to do whatever He asks us to do! (The problem is we often forget to check in and see if it is something HE wants, or something we want... or something someone else wants!) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.