Tuesday, May 29, 2018

May Transformations: What I learned ...



It happened in April, but it was May before I heard. One of the icons from my childhood passed away. Bertila Anderson, or “Sister Bea Anderson” as I always knew her, had finally achieved her life’s goal and reached the end of her journey arriving Home.

I owe a lot to the ladies of Amelia Baptist Church where I spent my formative teen years. From them, I saw examples of faithfulness, loyalty, fellowship and friendship lived out in front of me. Sister Bea Anderson’s special gift was a love for the word of God. We all knew she studied it fervently. She was always sharing nuggets she had learned in her adorable Spanish accent. I can still hear the sound of her voice all these years later.

I didn’t realize it at the time; but there was a passion inside me for bible study as well. It would have been so great to have studied with her as an adult and learned her insights.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of having Sister Bea in my life. May I take time to notice and minister to the young believers I meet along the way.

God has always done His greatest work through a small band of people. (Look how He used the Apostles to set the world on fire!) In May, I again visited the story of Gideon and the 300. The Lord is looking to work through people who will stand for Him and not run when fear raises its ugly head. He is looking for watchful alert workers who will respond to His leading. May I be counted such a one!

The goal on this journey is to be totally transformed into someone who is a lot like Jesus. This month, a lot of thought and discussion regarding transformation went on in my little corner of the world.      

Two things were resolved: Speaking daily our “declarations” (otherwise known as scriptures defining who we are in Christ) is vital in transforming our thought life. The enemy is all-too-ready-and-willing to tell us all the ways we fall short in our quest to become more Christlike. We must train our thoughts.



The second is to become like a very hungry caterpillar. The eggs are always laid on an edible leaf and the first job of the caterpillar when hatched is to eat that leaf. Likewise, as growing believers our job is to spiritually digest the Word. It is vital to our development, and once again, needs to be done daily.
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

There is therefore NOW no condemnation. In various ways, the truth of Romans 8:1 has been emphasized in my life this month. I’m not walking towards a time of no condemnation, right NOW I’m uncondemned, no matter what the enemy may whisper in my ear. Does this mean I’m perfect? NO. I’m not, but HE IS. As long as I stay “in Christ Jesus,” I have nothing to fear.


What’s so beautiful about this blessed truth, what is so mind-blowing, is this: the end of Romans 8 tells us that NOTHING can separate us form Christ!


37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This is the spot where we laze in our chairs!

It’s been a great month! As a little gift to me, I was privileged to end the month on a stay-cation hanging around the house with a couple side-trips to my favorite lake.


How was YOUR May? I’d love to hear all about it. Leave a comment and let us know what you learned.

~~

I’m sharing at Char’s Trekking Through the Week.

4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to have someone instill a love of the Word in you. And the caterpillar becomes a butterfly. My May had two birthdays, a graduation, and a lovely Mother's Day. I blogged about Miracles, and have even heard of a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the loss of someone who was influential during your early years so to speak. What a legacy it sounded like she left behind!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, let's hear it for those spiritual mothers who guided us along the way. In each season, God seems to have arranged just the right women to led us forward. How good He is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to have someone like Sister Bea in your life. I just started reading a book on the Holy Spirit by Spurgeon. I've actually read chapter 1 twice before I move on. Everything we need for life we can find in the Bible. We can't add anything to it. It's good to look back and see how far God has brought us in our sanctification. Happy June to you and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.