Friday, February 2, 2018

Blessings in my little corner of the world ...

Time to take stock and count some blessings!

I've not been able to join the Friday's Five crew in their weekly exercise of finding five highlights in their week.

I'm way overdue.

The biggest thing that happened around our house recently was the fact our furnace blew up.

Yes, it did!

On one of the coldest nights in our region, too!

It was God's blessing we were home at the time. Normally, we would have been at prayer meeting, however; we had had ice over the weekend and the parking lot at church was deemed unsafe.

I was working in the office when I heard a loud pop noise and immediately began to smell burnt wires. Immediately, I turned the thermostat off.

Thank God! This happened about 7 p.m. If we had been on our normal schedule, we would not have returned home until about 9:30 p.m. I'm sure we would have found a pile of ashes instead of a home ...

Blessing number one is God's protection on our home.

Just that very day, a friend and I had been discussing verse 6 of Psalm 23. The phrase "surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life," could be translated "surely goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life." That certainly gives one food for thought!

It was God's goodness and His mercy that had us right where we were when the heater needed to be turned off!

Being the positive thinker I am, I felt like the heater would be fixed pronto. Alas, that was not to be.

After a few days, it was determined our heater had to be replaced. Of course, a replacement heater the size of our old one would have to be ordered.

Blessing number two is God kept the temperatures fairly warm during this 10 day interval where we only had two space heaters heating our home.

It is said in England, hotels keep American guests in one wing where the temps are 10° higher than the wing where British guests stay. They are used to cooler indoor temperatures. I just pretended to be British during those 10 days - and made use of afghans, sweatpants and the big fuzzy grape-colored robe I own.

Blessing three is this beauty:





Ah, she might not look like much, but we are so happy to have her around! (Also, love that she lightens up the narrow hallway. Our old one was walnut-brown.)

Of course, heating problems are just a few of the things going on in our world. Two of Jim's brothers have been in the hospital; one is still there now. (Please say a prayer?)

One of our newest church members who recently joined our little band of believers is already passed on and is resting in the arms of Jesus.

Good things are interwoven into the fabric of life as well:

Goofy twins:





And a sweet baby with chubby cheeks and great dark eyes turned 6 months old:






Blessings #4 is always family!

Blessing #5 is I'm thankful for the beautiful world we live in. He paints us a beautiful picture each night to cap off the day!



Driving at Dusk


How has your journey been going? I'd love to know! Leave a comment, or consider linking up a post of your blessings at Susanne's space, Living to Tell the Story.


I'm also linking with the community at Arabah Joy's Grace&Truth - because the truth is, there is grace everywhere if we just look for it.

10 comments:

  1. oh Praise God that you were home when your heater decided to stop!! yikes...God's mercy indeed!

    Those twins!! How did they get that big already???? and the baby is just precious.

    i'm sorry to hear of your loss...but heaven's gain! there's such comfort when we knowthat our loved one will be with the Lord.

    have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! What a blessing indeed that you were home to turn off the thermostat and you knew to do that. Yikes. Thankful for God's protection over all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is truly good, even if he doesn't work on OUR schedule! So glad all is well and back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Thankful post! Prayers for your brother in law~ Praising the LORD as I read about your furnace! Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I heard a loud pop noise and immediately began to smell burnt wires. Immediately, I turned the thermostat off. Thank God! This happened about 7 p.m. If we had been on our normal schedule, we would not have returned home until about 9:30 p.m. I'm sure we would have found a pile of ashes instead of a home"


    Wait, WHAT. That can happen?? Why can that happen? You'd think there would be some kind of fail safe!

    Glad you were home. Thank God!

    Said a prayer for Jim's brother...keep us posted.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - that would be scary! I'm so thankful you were home and God prompted you to turn off the thermostat immediately. I'm glad the temperatures weren't too cold while you were without a heater. Funny about the different temperatures for wings for British and Americans.Those kids are growing so fast. Prayed for Jim's brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jerralea! What an amazing blessing that you were home when your furnace 'exploded'. And that you knew what it was right away too. Your new one looks great in the hall, and even better, it works and is safe. Of course I will pray for your family members. I hope they are already on the mend.
    Your photo of the sky is beautiful, and a huge reminder of the infinite artistry of God. Your grands too! There's just nothing like the grandkids to remind us of new life and love and energy too.
    Have a wonderful, warm week! Currently it's -2 here, so you know I am rejoicing in your new furnace for you :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being at home when disaster struck was definitely a blessing. I'm glad you've managed to get a new boiler installed. Being without heating during a cold spell is no fun but sounds like you coped really well. Lovely photos. Your little ones are all cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I'm glad you were home when the heater 'blew up'. Yes that was a blessing. And you knew what to do.

    Your grandchildren are adorable! What a blessing it is for you to live near them.

    And really it is a blessing to own a couple of space heaters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. Praise God you were home. I don't know if I would even think to turn the furnace down. Now I have that tucked away in my brain. The kids sure are growing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.