Monday, October 30, 2017

October Thoughts

One more October day left!  I've always been in agreement with the line from Anne of Green Gables,


"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

After all, September is often still too warm, and November can be cold, blustery and dreary. October is JUST right.




September had so much drama and negativity that I couldn't bear to sum it up but October was brighter. Sometimes the mental atmosphere is such that a person can't function but I find if I keep in scripture eventually things look more positive.

I love the Word so much. How do people ever make it through the stuff of life without it?

I just recently started Max Lucado's "Anxious for Nothing" which dwells exclusively on one of my favorite passages of scripture, Philippians 4:4-8

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

I also love me a good quote and here are some that helped me in October:


The only ethic that will ultimately work against hate is love. And no one should be more loving than those forgiven in Christ.  ... Carey Nieuwhof

In adversity we usually want God to do a removing job when He wants to do an improving job. To realize the worth of the anchor, we need to feel the storm. – unknown (shared by Jerry Flury)


O God, help me to meditate on Your unfailing love! Help me not have the sin of unbelief after all You’ve done to tell me You love me and demonstrate Your love for me. ,,, Beth Moore, Praying God’s Word, pg. 93


You can’t say you love Jesus and hate His body (the church). You just can’t. … Kay Warren, 2015 IF Conference


Someone has suggested that longsuffering is "love stretched out." It is so elastic and tough that it doesn't break up into impatience. ... Every Day with Jesus Bible, October 16 (May we all love like that!)

The one quote seen in October which spoke to me the most was a Dallas Willard quote shared by Sue Donaldson:

“You must RUTHLESSLY ELIMINATE HURRY FROM YOUR LIFE.”

Because I. Am. Guilty. Also, I don't know if ever in my life I have done anything "ruthlessly." Therein might lie my problem ...


Family update:

The family is doing well. Rory, now 3 months, has learned to smile and giggle. 




The twins had their first school field trip to a pumpkin patch.




I have been having fun making my favorite chili, stew and soups. Cooking is so much more fun in the fall. I love chopping vegetables and throwing everything into one pot!

Ministry update:

Our Sunday School is still deep in the study of the Book of the Acts of the Apostles. We are studying chapter 11, when believers first became called Christians at Antioch. I can't wait to go on to chapter 12 where God miraculously delivers Peter from prison. I find it hilarious when Peter is delivered from prison and goes straight to the house where the believers are gathered praying for him. They don't believe it is him. They think he is a ghost! How often we pray for something and the answer is standing right in front of us and we don't see it.

On Wednesday nights, I'm still teaching Selah Psalms when I'm on the schedule. I did a back-to-back series on Psalm 89 in September and October. Psalm 89 really speaks to current events and teaches us when living in uncertain times, we SING! We PRAISE! And we REMEMBER God’s promises.

He has never went back on His word, and He never will. In fact, it is impossible for him to do so.

That's a wrap!

October is ending. Time now to focus on Thanksgiving. During November, I want to focus each day on expressing gratitude for at least one thing.

Will you join me? Big or small, there are blessings to be found everywhere we look.

He is a good, good Father, you know ....

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how quick your little grands have grown. Seems like yesterday you were sharing pictures of babies!
    I read that Max Lucado book several years ago. It's as wonderful as everything else he's done.
    I too love October. Beautiful month! Hope it carries over into November some... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerralea ... I'm with you ... October is my favorite month. I still can't believe the autumn months are behind us and the holiday months are here.

    Yikes. The older I get, the quicker time seems to fly ...

    Let's enjoy each and every day ... thinking about all that is true, lovely, excellent, and praiseworthy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.