Wednesday, September 13, 2017

River of delights ....



Psalm 36:5-9 New Living Translation (NLT)


Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, 
your justice like the ocean depths. 
You care for people and animals alike, O Lord. 
How precious is your unfailing love, O God! 
All humanity finds shelter 
in the shadow of your wings. 
You feed them from the abundance of your own house, 
letting them drink from your river of delights. 
For you are the fountain of life, 
the light by which we see.

~~~

Delight is such an interesting word. My first thought when I see the word is the scripture I stood upon during all the years of my infertility: Psalm 37:4, "Delight thyself in the Lord and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.


I did, and He did ....


Actually, learning to delight in Him is a lifelong process. I'm much further down the road in delighting than I was, but I have a long way to go.


Because life gets in the way and tries to interrupt, or delay, the delighting. Instead, it wants you to focus on all the trouble in the here and now.


Right after I wrote the above sentence, some extra trouble happened in the here and now ... I have an opportunity to practice what I preach...


So how do you delight? You remind yourself what you already know about your Savior. You recall His attributes and His promises. You think again of all the experiences you've had when you were delivered and kept.



I delight by keeping in the Word. It's a lifeline for me when troubles come. Just like the troubling news I received could make me fearful, reading His Word calms me. Psalm 36 reminds me HE sustains my world, nothing else. No job, bank account, calm climate, governmental resources or favor from man keeps me going, He does.


He always has, He always will.


You delight by trusting the unfailing love of your good, good Father.

~~~

I'm sharing this post at Jennifer Dukes Lee's  #TellHisStory because His story is He sustains and my story is I trust Him. I'm also linking up at Arabah Joy's Grace&Truth.

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.