Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Silence


My post, the Daily Offering, discusses my attempts to offer God at least 10 minutes of my time before my day begins praising and worshiping God, and listening for His voice, without bringing up one single petition.



For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him
Psalm 62:5  (ESV)
The very real struggle of the Daily Offering, for me, at least, is the "listening for His voice part." It's so difficult to quiet the chatter racing through my brain. Oh, if only there were an on/off switch!

I can praise for quite a long time. He is so mighty, powerful, good and kind - there is a wealth of things for which I can give praise. 

It's a little harder not to ask for anything because I'm so used to bringing Him my every need, but I can do it. (Only because I know I will ask later!)

Waiting in silence to see if He has anything to say takes real discipline. Some days, most days, it is an exercise in self-discipline because I hear nothing.

It's not wasted time, however. I don't know how to explain it really, but those moments of silence? When it is over, I feel peaceful and refreshed and ready to start my day.

Silence is golden and worth the investment of my time!



A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak; 
Ecclesiastes 3:7 (NKJV)





The Journey is our way Home. There is nothing more important than making that final destination. Jesus paid my ticket there, but I have to walk it out. In October, I will be observing the things that happen while traveling the Journey and writing a daily post about my observations.

Because I like to stretch myself, I will also do a challenge within a challenge - 31 days of 5 minute free writes. I will take a topic and run with it, writing furiously for 5 minutes, tailoring it to relate to my theme of examining life along the Journey.

If you are a subscriber, you will receive my #31Day posts each day. If you're not a subscriber, why not? Please go up to the Follow By Email box in the very top of the right column and enter in your email address. I don't want you to miss a thing!

You can also click here each day and look at the bottom of this post. The link to the newest post will be there.

If you would like to join in on the 31 Day Challenge, either as a writer or a reader, go here.


If you would also like to do the 31 Day challenge by doing it in a 5 Minute Free Write format, go here.

3 comments:

  1. Silence is a hard pill to swallow sometimes ... we always think we must fill the space with some kind of noise.

    He whispers, 'peace, be still.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this. I do start out with praise and thanksgiving before petition, but I have never had a silent time. I think I'll start out "slow" 5 minutes and then advance up. Good thoughts!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.