Thursday, December 10, 2015

Queen of Quotes

This week's list of prompts over at Writer's Workshop includes one of my very favorite things to write about - I mean, besides listing:

1. Share a quote you love.

Y'all, I am the Queen of quotes. I collect them; in fact, I've been doing it for the last 7 years. The big problem with writing on this subject is choosing the right one ...


So, I gave myself 24 hours to think about which quote I'd share with you today. After all, on a regular basis, I share quotes with my readers about two times a week.


Should I go with humorous?



"Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like"  Author Unknown


(I will always love that one!)


But then I thought of one that is so relevant right now - so current and on topic:



The Word became flesh and blood,    and moved into the neighborhood. John 1:14 (The Message) 


Eugene Peterson's paraphrase of this verse is so spot on.  In this season of celebrating the birth of Christ, you have to wonder ... why did He do it?


Why did He become like us and live in our neighborhood? Why did He choose a working-class neighborhood and choose to work with His hands to make a living?


So He'd know how we feel when we have troubles making ends meet and our bodies are worn out with standing all day slaving over a trade just so we can earn enough money to feed our families and start all over again tomorrow.


And later, when He became an itinerant preacher traveling on foot from city to city to spread His message ... why did He choose to do it the hard way? 


But since He did, now He knows how it feels to go and go and yet the work is never done, and people always wanting something more of you. (Yes, mothers of littles, He does understand that part of your life). When you're so tired you will sleep through a hurricane, when there are so many demands on you there is no time to even eat - He's been there. He knows the heartache of your friends and family not understanding why you do what you do. He has felt the pain of rejection, of being talked about and people making fun of you. He knows.

From the foundation of the world, it was planned that Jesus would put skin on and come walk through life with us.

We are that important to Him. YOU are that important.



Mama’s Losin’ It

Do you have a favorite quote?

If you are interested in linking up one your post - or just want to read more responses to this prompt, visit the host of Writer's Workshop, Kat Bouska, at her site, Mama's Losin' It.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Love the first quote and am founded in the second quote. Great thoughts to go along with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby & I are Navigator missionaries, military branch ministering at local Air Force base. (The Message was pressed by NavPress.) Sometimes it has phrasing that is just hilarious. I remember the phrase "super hero" is used in their someplace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That second quote threw me for a loop! I guess I've never read The Message version of The Bible. I must check it out because I had a big hearty laugh at the phrasing. I kind of like thinking of The Word that way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is neat how much you like quotes and how you save them :)

    I think to make an impact on us and for us to really appreciate all Jesus did for us, he had to be "normal", couldn't have lived in a castle or be rich, etc. He had to be someone we all could relate to and then realize what he could have been if he chose (rich, etc.) but he left the greatness of heaven to indeed move into our neighborhood.

    Glad he did too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.