Wednesday, September 30, 2015

What I Learned in September ...


What We Learned in September


Ah, September, how I love thee! Maybe it is my great affinity for back-to-school but I've always felt that the academic year should be the New Year. Even though I and my children are all finished with school, I still find that September feels like new beginnings to me.


These are the days of:



  • Finally being able to turn off the A/C.
  • Nesting. I feel more like making sure everything in my nest is organized in the fall than any other season. I want to be ready for cozy evenings.
  • Impatiently waiting for cool enough weather to wear boots and sweaters and to cook chili and soups
  • Enjoying glorious weather. For some reason, the sky seems bluer and the clouds fluffier.
  • Waiting on an answer from God
  • Uncertainty (still)


September pics


September sermon notes:

  • Ordained strength is perfected praise (Bro. Ken Cook)
  • Stand still and watch God work (based on Eph. 6:10)
  • "Neither know we what to do. Our eyes are on you." (from 2 Chronicles 20)
  • John 14:23-26 God will hang out with us! (Bro. Chapman)
  • If you need God, worship. (Bro. Chapman)
  • If you can put mastery on eating, you can master anything. (Bro. Chapman)
  • The first thing on our agenda should be looking for Him. (Bro. Terry Eaves)
  • Have character - don't be one! (Bro. Chapman)
  • How high are we willing to lift Christ? (Bro. Chapman)
  • The journey is a marathon, not a sprint. (Bro. Kim Ferguson)
  • Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if he kept his mouth shut! (Bro. Terry Eaves)
  • 2 Corinthians 2:14 - "causes us always to triumph"  (Moffit says it's a "constant pageant of triumph.) 
  • However, you can't have a victory unless you have a battle. (Bro. Terry Eaves)
  • Defeat should not be in the Christian's vocabulary. (Bro. Terry Eaves)
  • My position in the Lord is what keeps me safe. (Bro. Terry Eaves)


Thought provoking reads in September:


  • The surest way to conquer FOMO [fear of missing out] is to turn and see Christ with you, because in the face of Christ we see God’s best already given, forever given, opening up in new ways in every moment and situation. With Christ beside us, with us, in us, all has been given. Carolyn Watts
  • Sabbath is a weekly inward commute from a loud world to a still small voice; a rhythm of familiar conversation in a language that speaks deeply of belonging. It is a reminder that the world doesn’t revolve around me.  Shelly Miller
  • It is impossible for you to have a need that I cannot meet. Sarah Young, Jesus Calling, Faith Gateway Devotional
  • A church that meets 8 years on the sidewalk - Read about it here.


September Quotes:

Are you going to choose comfort, or are we going to choose the cross?… David Platt, Counter Culture


I’m very steadfast in what I believe. I don’t leave my conscience and my Christian soul out in my vehicle and come in here and pretend to be something I’m not. It’s easy to talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?- Kim Davis, clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky

What's been on YOUR heart and mind this September? Leave a comment and share, or else link your own post at Emily P. Freeman.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the new year starting in September when school starts; makes more sense to me :) September went by so fast for me (like August and so many other months this year!)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. September definitely feels like a new beginning for us too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.