Thursday, January 29, 2015

You've Got Mail

Recently, I wrote a piece about snail mail entitled, "Send Some Joy." Some commented and said they loved getting snail mail.
Image courtesy of pixabay.com 

I was mulling this over and I realized what a good deal snail mail actually is.  Think about it, for about the price of a sweet tea from McDonald's, I could make TWO people's day by sending them each a card or note. 

For a mere 49¢, I can send something to anyone in the United States, no matter how remote.  If I have a working address, it will get there. Unless they have a P.O. box, a mailman will actually drive or walk up to their house and put it in the mail box for me.  It doesn't matter if it is a rainy or snowy day or the hottest day of the year, the mail man will still deliver the letter.

There could be a big mean old dog in the yard and somehow my mail gets to my friend.

If that were not enough, USPS delivers 6 days a week! (God rested on the seventh day, so should my mailman.)

But that's not all.  For $1.15, less than the price of two sweet teas (notice a theme here?), I could send a note to anywhere in the WORLD. I could send to remote jungles in Africa or over-populated cities like Beijing. Now, I don't know how it works in other countries, they might not have mailmen deliver to the actual door of my friend, but they would hold onto the mail until my friend went to the post office to receive it.

You might argue that you can send a text to anyone in the world for free. That is true, IF your friend has a cell phone that receives texts. But anyone can receive snail mail.

The next time a friend of yours seems down in the dumps, send them a cheery note or a funny card. It takes so little to mean so much.


Mama's Losin' It

This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt #4. Write a blog post inspired by the word:  I chose to write on the word "mail".  To read other bloggers responses, or to link up your own post, visit Kat at Mama's Losin' It.

10 comments:

  1. We really do have a good mail system for snail mail and packages! Really reasonable too! It just can be so easy to write an email instead, LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and very good encouragement to send a little cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love sending mail. A book, sometimes two, of little happies went out each month. It's been a long time since I have done that, though. Think I need to get back into that habit.

    Jen - Pierced Wonderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerralea, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here about snail mail. It is something that I did on a regular basis at one time, but with e-mail, and social networks, I am afraid I've gotten away from it. The Lord has been dealing with me about using my gift of encouraging others and just this very day I picked up a box of Friendship cards when I was shopping. It will tide me over until I get my others made.

    xo Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Telephoning...texting and Skype are all well and good..but nothing beats the feeling you get when someone writes you a letter....no matter how small.
    As well as the letter content...I really appreciate the time taken to write it.
    I really need to give other people that same feeling.
    Thank you for the your post ...you have inspired me
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sending and receiving snail mail....and sweet tea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you hear me applauding from there? I think the art of snail mail is diminishing. I love to receive letters but I need to get better at sending them too. I love something I can hold and keep and treasure. I would have to substitute your McD's sweet tea for a sugar free vanilla iced coffee. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like getting something personal in the mail! I don't send things often, but by chance I have a little gift I'm sending to my BF across the country today. :) Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's true! A lovely card is so much more meaningful than a text because you know the person really put some thought into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to be better about sending snail mail to friends and family. I LOVE getting a card in the mail, especially when I'm not expecting one. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.