Sunday, October 19, 2014

Day 19: Honor

When we got married, we opted for traditional wedding vows.  We promised to love, honor and cherish each other all our days on this earth.

I even took the bold step of vowing to obey my husband which was a radical thing to do in the midst of the 70's, a decade whose theme song seemed to be, "I am Woman, hear me roar ..." Feminism was an intoxicating idea that was tempting to embrace. 

Instead, I made a decision and promised to honor and obey my husband as the head of our home. Does that mean that he was always right?  Of course not!  I am blessed in that our relationship has always been one of talking things over and pretty much making the decision together.

Honor is a word we really don't use much these days but I think it means to give respect to the office.  As the head of our home, my husband is to be respected.  He, then, has the responsibility to make sure he has done all he could for our family. God will hold him responsible. He will also hold me responsible if I am a disobedient disrespectful wife.

When my husband was stricken with bipolar, I have to be honest, those vows became a lot harder to keep. However, I had also promised to hang in there "in sickness and in health." God has helped us to grow in love and understanding. So, on this Journey, we know we are in it for the long haul. We plod this path together hand in hand until the day one or both of us are called Home.

I have an obligation to fulfill (or honor).  Am I a person of my word, or not?
~~~


What do you think?  What does the word honor mean in today's culture?


This post is Day 19 of a series entitled 31 Days of Life on the Journey where I share about my journey as a believer, wife, mom and grandmother.  I invite you to return each day to find the newest link here. Myquillin at The Nester is the creator of the 31 Day Challenge.  I'm linking this post to the category, "Faith and Inspiration." You can also visit Kate's blog, "Heading Home" to read the posts of all the other participants of the 31 day challenge who are writing on her daily prompts for 5 minutes. Today's prompt is "honor."


You can read each day's post in order as they are published by clicking on the link here. Or you could subscribe to my blog - I wouldn't want you to miss a thing! Just fill in your email address in the box below the words "Follow by email" second from the top in the upper right hand column.


2 comments:

  1. I think "honor" today gets used in contractual language and probably not a lot as it relates to relationships. Great post, Jerri. Honoring someone when the going gets tough is the true test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I have a hard time when it comes to honoring mothers and fathers, as we are called to in the bible. Not mine, but other parents who really haven't been great ones...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.