Thursday, June 5, 2014

Dare to Believe

The faith life is sometimes hard for people to grasp.  They don't want to trust in anything they can't see, feel or touch.  However, faith is defined by the inability to do just those things:  "Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." (Hebrews 11:1 NLT)

I'm often a visitor in Missouri, the "Show Me" state.  Folks around these parts say "I'm from Missouri, you'll have to show me."  They claim "show me" means they are particularly alert and shrewd and not easily taken in.

Of course, none of us want to be fooled by something that is not true. God gave us common sense and good brains to discern. We need to be a balance of practicality and faith.  

Some of the truest things that exist are not things which can be seen. For example, gravity is a concept which is certainly true.  You can't see gravity but you would experience the effects of it if you were to let go of a glass vase some feet about the floor. You can say "I don't believe in gravity" over and over again but it doesn't keep the vase from shattering into shards of glass when it hits the ground.

Love is an emotion that cannot be seen, yet it is the greatest force known in the world today.  While we can't see love wrapped up in a golden box tied with silver ribbon, we do see the effects of love.  We know love resides in a home when each occupant strives to make the others feel cherished, important and wanted. When we see someone sacrifice their wants and needs for another person, we know that is someone who loves.

Does God exist? We can't see Him in the flesh, but we can see evidence of His actions.  His own creation shows His existence.


For His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen since the creation of the world, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)

What a creation He made for you!  Such a beautiful world with vistas of mountain heights and meadows, grand forests, mighty oceans, lazing rivers and streams, placid lakes and  thousands of species of plants and animal life.  I say it takes way more faith to believe all this beauty and life came from a big bang than it does to believe in a loving Creator.

Especially when I know that I know that I know He is real.  I experience Him every day.

Come on, dare to believe He is God! What have you got to lose?




This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt  4.) A blog post inspired by the word: dare.  I dare to believe in God.  What about you?



Mama’s Losin’ It


If you'd like to link up with Writer's Workshop, visit Kat's blog, Mama's Losin' It

10 comments:

  1. Jerralea this is an excellent post on so many levels. It does take more faith to believe that this world came from the big bang... I was just contemplating that today as I was writing a post about my quiet mornings. GOD made all this beauty! It didn't just happen.
    Yep, I am from the Show me state. As a young christian I used to be "on alert" of people trying to take advantage of me. Now my thinking is so what. As long as I am obedient I will receive the blessing. If they are taking advantage they won't receive the blessing and that is not for me to worry about. :)
    Yes, I know that I know that I know! My mother in law used to say that all the time. And it is just something that I know and nobody is going to make me believe that MY GOD doesn't exist. Enjoyed my stop here today. I wanted you to know too that I have changed The Joyful Bookcase to My cup runneth over and can befound at http://my--cup--runneth--over.blogspot.com
    see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my how I hope more people dare to put their faith in God! He has truly blest my family and each day is a reminder that someone much greater than those on earth made and formed all of what we see!

    ~stopping by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my mom and dad and all their families are from Missouri and I never knew that was why the state was called the Show Me State!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully put. And that is my favorite verse....has gotten me through many a rough time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I especially love the vase metaphor. You can't always see and feel him, but He is always there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A precious post, beautifully written from the heart and knowledge of the One who gave Himself for you, Jerralea. Your pictures were a beautiful compliment to each paragraph! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that picture of the bench; it certainly has a view!

    Excellent thoughts expressed here. You summed it up so well about faith and belief and acknowledging there is a God. He does exist and I dare to believe it too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. It's one I need to read over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jerralea! I do love the passion you have for your faith my friend. I smiled at the gravity example. These are really great things to remember when I am called to explain my faith.
    I'm not from Missouri, but I like to 'shown' too. That's what makes faith a challenge. But I keep working on it!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.