Thursday, May 15, 2014

Let it go ...

I'm a quote collector.  Since 2009, I've been writing down any pearls of wisdom that I come across to use in my Journey.  Not only do I need encouragement, I like to BE an encourager and share uplifting words whenever I can.  I usually will include a quote on my journal-type posts such as the Daybook posts I do on Mondays, or the Friday's Favorite Five posts I share.

Today this quote is on my mind:

"Your future has no room for the mistakes of your past."
JOYCE MEYER

Mistakes?  Boy, I've made plenty! I can really get mired down in the if-onlys. "If only I had done this."  "If only I had done that." Or, "If I could just go back, I'd sure do things differently."

But really, regrets are a waste of time; unless, your regret is something that you can do to make things right, such as an apology, or restitution. Otherwise, acknowledge your mistake, learn from it and then go on.

Don't wallow in the past.

I'm thinking about what another guy said about the past:

"...But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead ..." the Apostle Paul in Philippians 3:13

You don't get a do-over. Let the weight of past mistakes go and reach toward the future with a wiser but eager heart.


Mama’s Losin’ It

This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt 1.) A quote from someone that has stuck with you. You can find other responses at Kat's blog, Mama's Losin' It

10 comments:

  1. My husband likes to remind us all here that "there is no future in the past".
    Helps us to move on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to learn to let it go..its hard but I'm taking baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that quote. We tell the Air Force kids in our Bible study that in Jesus everyday is a new day. If you don't like your past, create a new one today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true about regrets; I have several that I'm trying to work through and let go. I told my kids when they were growing up that we can all learn from mistakes so as not to repeat the same stuff again in the futue, but sometimes I tend to dwell on them more than I should. Good thoughts!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always liked, "Never regret what once made you smile."

    But perhaps the best quote came from a pastor during a sermon. He said, "Resentment is setting myself on fire in the hopes that the smoke will bother you." I've heard several variations of that statement before...but I liked his wording for it best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it that you collect quotes -- they don't take much space :-) A thoughtful consideration of things to let go. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! Regrets can sure hold you down and keep you from moving on. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quote. Regrets can pull us down if we dwell on them, that's for sure. I've certainly made enough mistakes to have some regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tell our clients at work that recovery (and life!) is like a journey down a road. Now, imagine if you had to carry dozens of bags and suitcases with you... That would be a hard trip! So, we have to leave behind that old stuff, so we can move more easily to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a ridiculously hard time not dissecting every past memory that exists in my brain. I can't help it, but I agree completely that it's pointless to rehash things again and again that you obviously can't change.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.