Friday, May 16, 2014

F.F.F. - 05.16.14

Here we are in the middle of May.  After an unusually cool week, weather-wise, I am pretty excited about the weekend and all the plans I have for it.

Then, something happened to take away the shine and anticipation.  Actually, two things.  First, is that Jim's uncle passed away; and therefore, part of the weekend will be spent with family and remembering the fine Christian example his uncle modeled before us. Allen Ray Foster was a Christian businessman and church leader.  I've know him for over 38 years and never knew him to miss a church service unless he was out of town - which was very rarely. He was known far and wide as a person who would give you the shirt off his back.

1. My first highlight of the week is having a member of the family that is such a great example of Christ-likeness. May we all have the same said about us. We also have the joy of celebrating his life, knowing that he made the best decision anyone could ever make.  He gave his life to Christ.

The second thing that robbed the week of its joy was a bank robbery that took place in the very bank I had worked at so many years ago.  The robber became a murderer as he stabbed to death two ladies and badly wounded a third. One of the victims was a lady that had been a co-worker with me. She also has been known by my husband's family for many many years. She was so friendly and kind - everyone loved her.

Why am I sharing such a grim story with you?  I share mostly the good on this Journey with you, but as you know, life sometimes has rough patches.  Not everything works out the way we think it should. Often, good people suffer because others make tragic choices.  Please pray for her family and our community as we mourn a life cut short. I know that God will take the broken pieces of her family's lives and mend them as only He can.

2. The highlight in this situation is that, although Anita Grace's life was abruptly over, she left behind a legacy of love, cheerfulness and friendship.

3.  Now, on a brighter note:  more irises.  My friend, Marti, blessed me with more irises this week. I'm so glad God made such beautiful flowers to brighten our days.




4.  I'm also glad God didn't make just one variety of flower.  This week, we had rain, rain, rain and the roses popped out!



First blooms of the season!  The rain made the grass pop out, too, so please ignore that - it has been too wet to mow.


Here is a close-up of the pink rosebush - you can tell there are more just waiting to bloom.


5.  Quote of the week - you didn't think I would forget, did you?



“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” ― A.A. Milne

I saw this recently and just had to share.


And so ends another week on the Journey.  This week was mostly touched by sorrow but there are always blessings and highlights to find and treasure as well. How was YOUR week? Please share with us in the comments, or link up at Susanne's blog, Living to Tell the Story.


11 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you, your family, and your community my friend! ys, cool rainy week here in the midwest! I am looking forward to a beautiful weekend (weeding the garden). Great quote! I am going to put that one on my desktop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stories on the news don't usually hit so close to home. Sorry for your losses this week. May God surround you all with His comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the bank robbery. So much evil in the world, but you're right to concentrate on the good as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your friend and family. I do love that quote...and I think it's something I need to remember this summer. Your flowers are the visual reminder that with rain comes blessing, aren't they? Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your family's loss with Mr. Foster's passing; sounded like a wonderful man that left a great legacy. Also so sorry about your loss of a friend and fellow employee; what a sad situation, but you are right, somehow God will make beauty out of ashes of this tragedy. Such beautiful flowers you shared here and loved the quote.

    My week, HOT and lots of fires around us, but not in our immediate vicinity. Can only hope and pray for cooler temps next week.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear of the losses you have experienced this week. I too lost a beloved Christian relative...to the devastating news that he took his own life....so hard to understand. I will lift you up in prayer tonite. I have used that Milne quote before on FB! :) love it. those blooms are gorgeous. we have had a great week of good weather until today with RAIN! maybe you sent it out this way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your quote goes perfectly with your post. So sorry for your losses this week! My prayers go out to you and your family. Love the beauty of the flowers in a very hard week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry about your family's loss. It's a beautiful legacy that Mr. Foster left behind to be remembered for his faith and generosity.
    So sorry to hear of the bank robbery and the two deaths, especially of your friend. We are never promised tomorrow and tragedy can happen so quickly and senselessly. I'll be praying for the families.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jerralea! Please accept my condolences on the passing of such a wonderful person. It's so hard to say goodbye, and even harder to someone who was such an example to you.

    Oh Lord...I don't even know what to say about the bank robbery. I see those things on the news but never have a personal attachment to the ones involved. How hard this all must be. Thanks be to God that you can see beauty in God's creation. I know that will help you cope.

    Blessings to you on this hard weekend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jerralea, I am so sorry for both of your losses because I know that family members such as your husband's uncle leave a gap when the Lord calls them Home. Oh my...and your previous co-worker leaving this world in such a tragic way is truly a sorrowful thing. But thank you for sharing these things because they are all a part of life ...and because out of the HARD that He calls us to walk through comes healing and good.

    Your family and community will be in my prayers over the next week as you are grieving.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry for the sad parts of your week. Did they catch the murderer? I hope so!

    Love your roses!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.