Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for Truth

When I started my A-Z series on words to reflect upon, my premise was to discuss words that fit into Philippians 4:8,

Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things.

Notice the first thing mentioned is things that are true, so today's word is true.

Why do we have to think about what is true?  The only way to know when something is heresy is to know the truth.

I used to work at a bank, and in our training sessions we were told to study the real authentic currency in order to know when a counterfeit came along.

Often, heresy is something true with just one small thing thrown in that is a lie.

We must know the truth.

Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Where else could we go to find out the truth than to Jesus and the Word of God?

I'm going to dwell on truth, not what the world says about me.

When the world says I am nothing, I remember the truth:  I am God's masterpiece. *

When the world says I'll get to heaven if I am a good person, I remember the truth: no one is good, and salvation is a gift, not something I earn.*

When the world says to look out for number one, I'll remember who number one should be.*

What do you say?


* Ephesians 2:10, Romans 3:10, Ephesians 2:8-9, Mark 12:30


This post was written in community with the April A-Z blogging challenge.  To read others' work, go here.

4 comments:

  1. Jesus came to show us the truth. Jesus is the way the truth and the life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy! Only by studying what is real can we know when to recognize when something that isn't real comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I wrote a post for A/Z on Truth and then I dropped out of the challenge due to family issues and deleted all the posts I wrote; I really wish I had saved that one since it was the truth as Jesus relates it. One day I'll have to see if I can re-compose it.

    I am thankful Jesus always tells the truth!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Jerralea. That's how the enemy is deceiving even people in the church today. He mixed just enough of what is true into the false to make it all sound right. The real truth is in the Bible and we have to know what's in there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.